Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    A Sound of Thunder

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Sound of Thunder
 Login/Join

posted
I am still haunted by this story. I was 11 years old when I read it, and I couldn't even walk on a grass field for months for fear of stepping on a butterfly or moth.

Growing up in the 80's and the end of the cold war and nuclear fear, Mr. Bradbury's stories had such a prolific affect on me. His post-apocolyptic scenarios all took place in science immerced societies ( if there were any surivors, they had gone and colonized another planet, or the house was still functioning long after they had gone) and Though it gave no "hope" to me to survive such an attrocity, it gave me wonder.
What toy would be left behind in the charred ashes that once had a connection to me? If I stepped on this flower, how far would the chain reaction go? If I waited 2 more seconds before I took the next step, would the ants have had enough clearance before my sneaker made it's next imprint?

Well, it made me think about a lot of things at 11...

Posts: 1 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The movie is scheduled for release on Labor Day. Let's hope it lives up to the story!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I noticed that if you go to the official website of publisher ''HARPER COLLINS''...and go to their message boards listing the websites of authors associated with them, you will find the 'Bradbury website' ...and it'll direct you to THIS ancient, abanonded website. Hear the wind whispering.....thru the empty halls of this website?
Go to http://www.raybradbury.com
...for the newer Bradbury Website version...!!

(

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And they were complaining that they didn't want people coming here. Someone ought to tell them....

Abandon in place....

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I hear...the countdown for "Sound of Thunder" is still for Sept 2nd. If this picture truly costs $100,000,000.00 you'd think they cut a little budget for advertising. I've seen zilch!

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's amazing how long it takes to make a movie sometimes...

I was reading an interview with Bradbury dated 1992...talking about Mel Gibson doing =Fahrenheit 451=. The time seems to have come and gone...and still not even a promise of =Fahrenheit 451=. Now I read that ALL scripts have been tossed!! That includes the Darabont one we heard so much about! Too bad.

But there is absolutely NO DOUBT that in the upcoming generations of film directors and script writers, Bradbury's works will be done and done well, with new technologies and new talents to carry the prose to the screen in ways that are not familiar to any of us now.

_

I have trepidations about the upcoming =Thunder=! But I anxiously await the first reactions by a theater audience...