Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

August 2057
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone know why (other than just to update the titles)Bradbury changed August 2026 to August 2057 in Martian Chronicles pub'd 1997?

Posts: 3 | Registered: 21 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is nothing more to it - reality was beginning to catch up with the dates in the book, so when a new edition came along he took the opportunity of moving the story further into the future.

I wouldn't have minded if he had kept the original dates. Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four hasn't suffered for being 'out of date'.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very good point, Phil.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One difference though:

'1984' is the actual title of the book, and known worldwide by that name...

"We are the dead."
"You ARE the dead..." Mad
(sic)

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Phil. I don't think one ioda should be changed in any of his released material. Are we even sure that Ray himself did this and not somebody else?

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert M Blevins:
One difference though:

'1984' is the actual title of the book, and known worldwide by that name...

Good point! I wonder how many other SF writers have 'updated' their stories in this way?

(Incidentally, the pedant in me is required to point out the title is written out, thus: Nineteen Eighty-Four, at least here in the UK. I believe the first film version was called 1984.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robot Lincoln:
I have to agree with Phil. I don't think one ioda should be changed in any of his released material. Are we even sure that Ray himself did this and not somebody else?

Robot Lincoln, the change are detailed in Eller & Touponce's book The Life of Fiction. As far as I can recall, they were Bradbury's changes, not an editor's or publisher's.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as I can recall, they were Bradbury's changes, not an editor's or publisher's.

Ray has always been that way, constantly changing and rewriting stuff for the re-release.

He owns it - I guess he can do with it as he pleases.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post