New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please Help.
 Login/Join

posted
Hi All,

A long time ago I saw a short movie about a place where it rained all the time.

One little girl was continually bullied, because she drew pictures of the sun.

However, on the day the sun came out, she was locked in a cupboard and missed it.

My brother seems to think that this was a Bradbury novel, and I wondered if you could help, as it's stuck with me for a good 15 years?

Many thanks.

David.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 15 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The short story is "All Summer in A Day." You can find it collected in A MEDICINE FOR MELANCHOLY, as well as THE STORIES OF RAY BRADBURY.

Posts: 2471 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot for the information.

I saw this movie in the cinema back in 1982 or 1983 and it's stayed with me since then.

It's unusual for an 11 or 12 year old to carry something around like that for this length of time...

Thanks again.

D.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 15 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might think so, but All Summer in a Day is one of the most asked-about stories on these message boards, primarily because of that very film you saw!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The film is also frequently asked for, but not very readily available.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lairdysnr:
...it's stuck with me for a good 15 years...

Yeah - RB stories will do that!

It was filmed for the PBS series Wonderworks in 1982 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0195517/), and it used to be available on YouTube, but I think it's since been taken off.

It's good.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never seen the video, though it has for years here been lauded by many much in the same manner Lairdysnr comments. I teach the s.s. and the students are always bothered by the conclusion.

The way the story unfolds when the kids go out into the sunshine, it is easy even as a reader to forget (momentarily) about Margaurite!

I am going to do a search via the ed. system libraries across the state to see if I can locate and view a version of it. (If successful, I'll share some thoughts.)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
I teach the s.s.

You teach Nazis!?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to an earlier thread on All Summer in a Day, which includes details of where it can be ordered from. (I know someone who obtained a copy from the same place just before Christmas, so this is still current information.)

I have also heard that someone will be selling DVDs containing the film on eBay quite soon.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post