Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Help with title

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with title
 Login/Join

posted
I've been looking for a short story title for years, and I've always thought it was by RB. Now I'm not so sure. It was about a girl who adapted so quickly to her environment that she was impossible to kill (what she did to deserve death, I don't remember)--until those trying to control her realized that she wouldn't be able to exist in her own exhaled gases. Also, she had violet eyes. I use RB stories constantly to teach biology, natural selection, language arts, etc. I'd love to solve this mystery--thanks!

Posts: 1 | Location: Corvallis, OR, USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhpas you are thinking of "The Adaptive Ultimate", a short story by Stanley G. Weinbaum, originally published under the name John Jessel?

I think the charcter in the story is more of a WOMAN, though, not a "girl".

I know there was an attempt to turn this into a film, but I'm not sure how far it has come.

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post