Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    YOU'RE A GENIUS IF YOU REMEMBER THIS STORY'S NAME!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

YOU'RE A GENIUS IF YOU REMEMBER THIS STORY'S NAME!
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all. I've been trying to track down a particular short story for twenty years. I'm pretty sure it's a Ray Bradbury tale, but I'm only about 90% sure. I say that, because the tale is pretty dark and twisted. Perhaps more twisted than Bradbury would write.

It takes place underground, in the catacombs under a cemetery. The big reveal is that the corpses (still in their caskets) have formed a community of the dead, and they are celebrating an important day. A very special day. The day when one of the corpses gives birth!

Never forgot that story. Still gives me the chills thinking about it.

Any of you horror fans ever heard of it?

Many blessings,

Todd

Posts: 3 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going from memory, but I think the short story that you are thinking about is called "Reunion." I know the story in question appeared in the original 1947 Arkham House edition of DARK CARNIVAL as well as the Gauntlet Press reissue of that collection. If I am wrong about the title, I am certain someone will correct me!

Posts: 2471 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard, you are half a genius. It is in "Dark Carnival," I believe its only book publication, but it is "Interim," not "Reunion." It is not to be confused with the "Interim" also known as "Time Intervening."

I'M A GENIUS! Made my day.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're BOTH geniuses and gentlemen too! After reading your responses, I did some research and discovered that yes; indeed, it is "Interim" from Dark Carnival!

Thank you Richard, for pointing me in the right direction, and thank you Dandelion for confirming the facts.

P.S. By the way, I knew I'd never read Dark Carnival before, so I was stymied as to where I might have read that story. So I did some more digging and found that it was an obscure little horror anthology from the 70s called "Fiends and Creatures," edited by Marvin Kaye.

Anyway, thank you both for your help on this. I know it sounds crazy, but you really helped solve a mystery that has haunted me for twenty odd years.

P.P.S. And thank you to RayBradbury.com for such a great resource!

posted Hide Post
Hey todd,
Watch it, Bub.
Better not go calling our lovely moderator Dandelion a gentleman!
Thanks, though for your post, but now I have to somehow find a copy of "Interim" now my interest is piqued!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whoops, thanks, Braling II. My sincerest apologies to Dandelion! After I re-read my post, I realized I'd probably made a grave error calling them "gentlemen."

Once I've finished pulling my shoe from my mouth, I'm off to do some Web shopping for that short story. For those of you who enjoy a good creepy story, you'll love it.

Cheers.

posted Hide Post
Well, you had one detail I didn't. I was unaware it had appeared in any other book.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post