Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Unknown Short Story

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unknown Short Story
 Login/Join

posted
Hi All

I am desperately trying to remember the name of a Ray Bradbury (i think!) short story about a guy who travels to the future/alternate reality and ends up in a world where everyone looks the same, dresses the same, people eat the same food at the same time, people are selected for breeding etc etc etc. The moral of the story is that to live in a world without discrimination, everyone would have to be identical and follow the same path.

I read it about 10 years ago so the details are a bit hazy, but I remember it had a profound effect on me and I really would like to read it again...

any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
davepenn

Posts: 1 | Registered: 07 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it had anything to do with graceful people being made to wear weights to impede them, it is Vonnegut's "Harrison Bergeron," the most-frequently wrongly attributed to Bradbury. No doubt there are many with similar elements, such as the description of Camazotz in Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
am desperately trying to remember the name of a Ray Bradbury (i think!) short story about a guy who travels to the future/alternate reality and ends up in a world where everyone looks the same, dresses the same, people eat the same food at the same time, people are selected for breeding etc etc etc. The moral of the story is that to live in a world without discrimination, everyone would have to be identical and follow the same path.

I read it about 10 years ago so the details are a bit hazy, but I remember it had a profound effect on me and I really would like to read it again...

I have a similar question. Today I was looking at a Ray Bradbury anthology at a bookstore, and remembered a story, which I believe was his, but may not be.

The story revolves around a small community. A person moves in, and starts to spread lies, bigotry and hate among the once friendly neighbors. As the neighborhood is effectively destroyed as a community, he leaves. It is implied that he might be some sort of secret agent.

I read this, perhaps, 15 years ago. In case it's one of Ray's, I'd love it if someone could tell me the name, and the book I can find it in. If not, I'd still appreciate it if someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Viradu:
The story revolves around a small community. A person moves in, and starts to spread lies, bigotry and hate among the once friendly neighbors. As the neighborhood is effectively destroyed as a community, he leaves. It is implied that he might be some sort of secret agent.

This obviously isn't it, but it reminds one of the Twilight Zone episode The Monsters are Due on Maple Street, does it not?

Ray always said that a few of the TZ stories were stolen from him.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for answering!

I definitely read it, but there's always the possibility TZ made it as an episode. And I do remember it was a very Ray-like story, which is why I believe it was his.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
are you sure youre not mixing it up with, say perhaps, an episode of the original outer limits?

as for twilight zone--wouldnt serling have done a magnificent job with "fever dream"?

but if of ships i now should sing, what ship would come for me?

Posts: 18 | Registered: 22 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post