Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    I need some questions to be answered about "Fahrenheit"
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need some questions to be answered about "Fahrenheit"
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
G, Dug, u and mi grandfathr wud hav got along grate.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

patrask is correct! I'm in the military and I can write entire emails just using acronyms!

CO,

FYI.

V/R,

PN2 S.

I'm sure you can, Doug - but those look like abbreviations to me!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alas, forfeit Ewon

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good article in the Bangalore Times:
"It's like, awesone!"
The vocabulary of youngsters is diminishing, says a recent study.

If you look it up on-line, beware, though, as you'll get lots of "pop-ups".

By the way, whatever happened to the poster who started this thread?

And - what was the question?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
The over-use of acronyms can lead to weakened communications. I remember sitting in a roomful of engineers and programmers who were tossing acronyms around the room in a very casual manner. I was new and began asking what the acronyms meant. In many, many cases, no one knew. The acronyms had lost much of their meaning as they had become unfamiliar because the full term had not been used in a long time.

You are correct, sir! Just last week my supervisor told me that a particular form submitted to us had to be signed by the unit's OSO. Now, not having heard that acronym before I asked what OSO stood for. He couldn't tell me!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I'm sure you can, Doug - but those look like abbreviations to me!

Well, if you're going to be technical about it!

Actually CO, FYI and V/R are acronyms.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dougster, I'm afraid Philnic is right, as an acronym is actually a word formed by initals; e.g. "scuba" or "radar".

Again, though, whatever happened to the poor lad with the F451 assignment???

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II

Poor lad with the F451 assignment? Perhaps Phil Knox up there may have a post with a double meaning indication: Forfeit Ewon. [451]. Maybe the lad (or a las) just gave up.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10-04
10-05
10-06
10-01
etc.

See EMS codes on Google

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Dougster, I'm afraid Philnic is right, as an acronym is actually a word formed by initals; e.g. "scuba" or "radar".

You know, I believe you may be mostly right, but curiousity sent me to the dictionary which tells me that a proper definition for the word is:

"An identifier formed from some of the letters (often the initials) of a phrase and used as an abbreviation."

I believe this is the sense in which the military utilizes the term, hence my understanding of it.

But I do see your point, and believe me, the military also utilizes many grammatically incorrect phraseologies. I'm always pointing them out to supervisors to their annoyance.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
G, Dug, u and mi grandfathr wud hav got along grate.

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
That's absolutely amazing, Doug! I didn't miss, hesitate, or stumble over a single word. Excellent! I think you may be onto something. I wonder if an entire story would work like that.
To the drawing board!!!

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dougster,
"...but curiousity sent me to the dictionary..."
THE dictionary?
Your definition seems to be lifted from "The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing", the only one like that I found.
Webster's Collegiate, Dictionary.com, American Heritage, Thorndike-Barnhardt, and WordNet agree with the definition I posted above.
The New York Times Everyday Reader'sDictionary of Misunderstood, Misused, Mispronounced Words (a great resource!) makes it even clearer defining an acronym as a PRONOUNCEABLE word.
A great one is "Nabisco" from "NA(tional) BIS(cuit) CO(mpany).

posted Hide Post
What was the question? We're about to go to our third page of replies to a question nobody seems to remember. Odd bunch, that Bradbury crew.

I think B-II has earned his popsicle.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An excellent post, Mr. Dark.

Now Doug Spaulding, being an ex-military guy I would say the following:

CO Commanding Officer
FYI For Your Information
V/R I am stumped here
PN2 S This is a rank, although I am not familiar with what Naval rank this might be.

Elucidate me!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post