Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Favorite Book/ Story    Nah, I ain't cryin, just got somethin in my eye.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nah, I ain't cryin, just got somethin in my eye.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Veering back on topic, here are those Bradbury stories that have the most emotional impact on me. There are more but these are the standouts:

I sing The Body Electric
The Lake
The Leave-Taking
The Town Where No One Got Off
All Summer In A Day
All In A Summer’s Night

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll second "The Leave-Taking" and add "The Million Year Picnic", which always gets me.

Posts: 168 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Veering off again, "Henry The Ninth" takes place on Christmas eve, but isn't strictly about Christmas.
Veering back on, just read "Heavy-Set" again. SO sad a tale...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read Bradbury stories in my teens (and before), and early twenties, and always enjoyed them. Twenty years later I reread many stories, even though I remembered them - I thought. Things not new to me surprised me with new and sudden reactions! Body Electric quote, "We are surprised by age, by time", and G.B.S. Mark V "I'm here with ramshackle Shaw, he thought, and was suddenly warm in winter" brings on freshets of waterworks. Just got something in my eye.

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first poem in "When Elephants Last in the Dooryard Bloomed" gets me every time. I think it's called Remembrance.

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is that the one where young Ray puts a little note in a hole in a tree, and older Ray finds it? That one gets me every time, too; especially the message on the note: 'I remember you'.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW!!! A little off topic, or off subject, or something, but I just had to share that I've been a blubbering mess of tears for two days while reading Barry Longyear's novella "Alien Mine". I've always loved the movie but never read the award winning story til now. If you can believe this... the story actually lays the sentiment on much, much thicker than the fairly sappy movie. It's heartwrenching. Just incredibly sad, and poignant, and ultimately very life affirmming.

What's so funny bout peace, love, and understanding?

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Certain phraseologies do me in at times. It's like catching the breath of scripture where you know for certain its power of permitting you insight into endless depth of meaning. You capture, and the real you is captured in turn...[or is it vice versa?] Bradbury's 'The Tombling Day' effectively gives me a sense of awe. It borders the indescribable and a thing of marvel.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post