Ray Bradbury Forums
Nah, I ain't cryin, just got somethin in my eye.

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6891083901/m/1051012862

25 November 2006, 10:32 AM
Chapter 31
Nah, I ain't cryin, just got somethin in my eye.
Veering back on topic, here are those Bradbury stories that have the most emotional impact on me. There are more but these are the standouts:

I sing The Body Electric
The Lake
The Leave-Taking
The Town Where No One Got Off
All Summer In A Day
All In A Summer’s Night
25 November 2006, 01:21 PM
Yestermorrow
I'll second "The Leave-Taking" and add "The Million Year Picnic", which always gets me.
01 December 2006, 03:13 PM
Braling II
Veering off again, "Henry The Ninth" takes place on Christmas eve, but isn't strictly about Christmas.
Veering back on, just read "Heavy-Set" again. SO sad a tale...
10 December 2006, 09:42 PM
dragonfly
I read Bradbury stories in my teens (and before), and early twenties, and always enjoyed them. Twenty years later I reread many stories, even though I remembered them - I thought. Things not new to me surprised me with new and sudden reactions! Body Electric quote, "We are surprised by age, by time", and G.B.S. Mark V "I'm here with ramshackle Shaw, he thought, and was suddenly warm in winter" brings on freshets of waterworks. Just got something in my eye.
15 December 2006, 12:59 PM
groon
The first poem in "When Elephants Last in the Dooryard Bloomed" gets me every time. I think it's called Remembrance.
16 December 2006, 11:05 AM
philnic
Is that the one where young Ray puts a little note in a hole in a tree, and older Ray finds it? That one gets me every time, too; especially the message on the note: 'I remember you'.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
03 January 2007, 04:00 PM
grasstains
WOW!!! A little off topic, or off subject, or something, but I just had to share that I've been a blubbering mess of tears for two days while reading Barry Longyear's novella "Alien Mine". I've always loved the movie but never read the award winning story til now. If you can believe this... the story actually lays the sentiment on much, much thicker than the fairly sappy movie. It's heartwrenching. Just incredibly sad, and poignant, and ultimately very life affirmming.

What's so funny bout peace, love, and understanding?
03 January 2007, 05:20 PM
Nard Kordell
Certain phraseologies do me in at times. It's like catching the breath of scripture where you know for certain its power of permitting you insight into endless depth of meaning. You capture, and the real you is captured in turn...[or is it vice versa?] Bradbury's 'The Tombling Day' effectively gives me a sense of awe. It borders the indescribable and a thing of marvel.