Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    that time is coming

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

that time is coming
 Login/Join

posted
Well, late summer is here (almost autumn). The dark purple ironweed is blooming, and the trees have started to change--a patch here and a patch there. The whole atmosphere has changed, expecting the fall soon coming. As I said in another post, I always read Mr. Bradbury's "Tricks! Treats! Gangway" in the early evening of Hallowe'en, but there is another tradition I have that is not linked to a specific day--reading "The Fog Horn." This is a "movable feast" for me, because it has to be read on a certain kind of evening with a wild storm raging outside, Thor throwing his hammer for all it is worth, and waves of rain lashing against the windows, and I, cuddled up in my chair beside the window with my copy of "The Fog Horn." I liked "The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms," even though just about its only resemblance to the story is the wrecking of the lighthouse. It was done really well in the movie, with the two lighthouse keepers playing their favorite music, the storm raging outside, and then the horror at the window. Mr. Bradbury always comes to mind when I hear the word "Hallowe'en." He has seen many of them, and loves it as it used to be, as I do--

Posts: 77 | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Viktoria, well said!! Good to hear from you again.

http://www.geekus.org/Pumpkins2004/flying-pumpkin1c.jpg

Posts: 2806 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto here. Nice imagery. (Being Orthodox, I'm familiar with "moveable feasts"!)
Hey, I noticed you came on board here in October!
Another one of the Autumn People!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
"moveable feasts"

Do you carry yours in a picnic basket?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, "The Foghorn", that's a mighty fine story. Bradbury could have quit writing after that story alone, and still been famous. Ofcourse, I'm glad he didn't quit.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smiler That time is finally HERE!!!!!!!!!!! Smiler
HAPPY HALLOWEEN

http://www.halloweenishere.com/hauntedhouse.html

"Why do people take drugs anymore when reality has become hallucination?!!"

Posts: 10 | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sundance, is this a relative?
Is this the next coming of Braling II, (re: Marionettes by RB)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFgXEkzMq7A
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfaAiujrX_Y&feature=related

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2806 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Butch. Can't view these from this here dial-up connection. I'll check it out in about a week after I get back...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the load time may be 30 sec. or so. But, worth the wait...

In PA, huh, Pard? My neck of the continent!!

posted Hide Post
Yup. Visiting the grandchillun (and their parents!)
Happiest of Thanksgivings to all!