Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Hello, Dandelion...

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hello, Dandelion...
 Login/Join

posted
I would like to know if your name happens to come from Watership Down by Richard Adams. I taught the book to fifth graders for about 12 years and they loved it. Dandelion was one of my favorite charcters. I would love to discuss te book with you, at any rate.

Posts: 7 | Location: Lees Summit, MO USA | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well i suppose I could be wrong, but seeing as how this is a Ray Bradbury message board, I'm assuming it comes from his book titled "Dandelion Wine".

Posts: 130 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Yestermorrow, you are correct. I actually haven't read "Watership Down."

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That makes sense (Dandelion Wine). Dandelion in Watership Down was the storyteller of the group of rabbits, so that made some sense, too. Adam's book is a wonderful piece of fantasy about rabbits who break off from their warren to start one of their own (but based on actual rabbit behaviors). They must battle a nearby militaristic warren to retain their location. Each character has a unique talent contributing to the success of the warren. The book has been used as a leadership tool in training seminars. I highly recommend Watership Down to all Bradbury lovers. Thanks for the quick response.

Posts: 7 | Location: Lees Summit, MO USA | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second what Dennis has said--it's a fantastic book that I think Bradbury fans would love.

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion:
I saw the movie, Watership Down...years ago. The music was by Simon and Garfunkel, to show you just how long ago 'twas. But I found this little untitled drawing of Dandelion, from Watership Down...

click on, or type into finder: http://lavender.fortunecity.com/eraserhead/359/wd31.jpg

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 01-22-2004).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too bad the animated movie was not very good... the book is so involving... cliff hanger style... great character development and wonderful plot... talked by phone to Mr. Adams 20 years ago... I was teaching fifth graders the novel and had the class place call (from USA to Isle of Man)to ask questions... he was terrific...

posted Hide Post
By the way, the song Bright Eyes was written and sung by Garfunkle after their breakup, I believe...

posted Hide Post
Too bad I wasn't able to view the picture, as I love little bunnies.

What do little bunnies have in common with Art Garfunkel? They both like greenery--imbibing certain plants, that is.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion, you're a fan of Zilpha Keatley Snyder I believe... You may remember one of the characters in Libby on Wednesday wrote a spoof of Watership Down which was rather amusing. WD is certainly worth reading--I loved it as a kid, though I haven't read it in quite some time....

Posts: 85 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, OC, Alex's little parody made me wonder about WD, but has certainly not put me entirely off reading it after all the good things I've heard. And, much as I adore "Frost and Fire," it made me want to send Alex a copy to see what he could do with that!

All right, you can stop squeaking at me. I get it!