Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Traditions: "Rites and Ceremonies"
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traditions: "Rites and Ceremonies"
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Does anyone remember the old push lawnmowers? I remember ONE from across the street in the late 1960s. Ever since then were the noisy gas mowers which our parents warned us away from with dire stories. As a result, I avoid gas mowers and have never operated one.

Now those new green mowers are appearing--at least three in my immediate neighborhood. The rite of the noisy and dangerous gas mowers is one I will not miss.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just got rid of our push mower, only because, where we did have a small patch of grass in our yard it's being replaced by other plants.
Don't like the gas mowers much, but I hate leaf blowers!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, dandelion, I do remember the reel push mower and did not like it at all. It was hard to push and if the blades were dull, it did a horrible job of chopping off the grass.

You still see reel mowers though today, although in a gang set-up, pulled behind tractors on golf courses, the lawns of corporations or other large grassy areas.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Does anyone remember the old push lawnmowers?

Growing up, it was my job to mow the lawns. All we had was a reel mower. The week I moved out my dad went and bought a power mower. About a month later he hired a gardener.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
You still see reel mowers though today, although in a gang set-up, pulled behind tractors on golf courses, the lawns of corporations or other large grassy areas.

I used one when I worked at a golf course many years ago. They're wonderful if the blades are properly sharpened - much better on the grass.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
The week I moved out my dad went and bought a power mower. About a month later he hired a gardener.

That's rather telling.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post