Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Seth Grahame-Smith...

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seth Grahame-Smith...
 Login/Join

posted
...author of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is inspired by Ray:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...nspira_b_485503.html

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who wasn't inspired by Ray? Smiler

Posts: 30 | Location: Portugal | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...maybe, uh, --John Huston!?

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Au contraire, I think Huston was very inspired by Ray. To the point of immense jealousy, I would say!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really. I have always thought the interview of JH's son on the American Icon video painted "Dad" as quite pretentious to RB throughout the Irish days.
RE: The Banshee!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well yes, but Huston's bullying and teasing of Ray COULD be interpreted as Huston's feelings of inadequacy in the writing department. Huston must have been inspired by Ray initially as least, otherwise he would never have offered him the Moby Dick job.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Absolutley my take on Moby script, also. Clash of the Egos, perchance!

JH was from a totally different set of standards in his upbringing and social circles. Mr. B was the Mid-western kid from Green Town who made it big by gutsy determination and imagination. Polo ponies and cocktail parties at elegant estates were not quite the backgrounds from which RB conjured. JH, on the otherhand, thrived on the accolades and perfumes poured forth from such settings. Right?

So, Phil, you think it was the elder's jealousy rather than simple bullying? Thus, he was "inspired by the uniqueness of the young genius he was witnessing."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
...So, Phil, you think it was the elder's jealousy rather than simple bullying? Thus, he was "inspired by the uniqueness of the young genius he was witnessing."

That's how I see it. Huston seemed to bully the talented, sensitive souls around him. I suppose he might have bullied the untalented, too, but we wouldn't get to hear about that. Maybe I should read a Huston biography to get a bigger picture...

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Polo ponies and cocktail parties at elegant estates... thrived on the accolades and perfumes poured forth from such settings.

Perfumes from polo ponies. <<snicker>>

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Au contraire, I think Huston was very inspired by Ray. To the point of immense jealousy, I would say!

I tell you a true story: at one of Ray's recent birthday parties, I presented him with a Moby Dick film poster to sign. Under the "screenplay by" credit at the bottom, he promptly crossed a large black X through Huston's name, then signed the poster!

I loved it, as did the on-looking Crowd! The smirk on his face as he did it was priceless!

I love that man!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awwww, now that's cute!

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post