Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Eating in LA!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eating in LA!
 Login/Join

posted
Denise Hamilton's book THE LAST EMBRACE has been mentioned on this board before. Here the author goes on a food tour of LA. Bradbury, Harryhausen and Ackerman are mentioned.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It mentions the Pig 'N Whistle!

Mr B and jkt and I supped there just a few weeks ago right before heading over to King of Kings.

Wayward carriage! Sorry.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

Wayward carriage! Sorry.

Upon boarding your wayward carriage, I took it upon myself to whistle for my own pigs. The results were less than optimal:

I'm afraid it's now a wayward, wayward carriage...

MTD

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Denise Hamilton's book THE LAST EMBRACE has been mentioned on this board before. Here the author goes on a food tour of LA. Bradbury, Harryhausen and Ackerman are mentioned.

'Twas but I that did the deed. As it turns out, the article just happens to picture one of my favorite family style restaurants in and around LA: Dupar's. They have world famous hot cakes that are stand alone in their affect on the pallate. There used to be several, now only one or two locations left, their most interesting being on Ventura Blvd. in the
San Fernando Valley, in Studio City, where on any given day one may see people in the Business just enjoying themselves like you and me over a stack of hot cakes and coffee, or in my case Te Caliente! I hope they never close Dupar's. The waitresses are lifers and very unique as well, though, like every other restaurant in California, they are likely to be speaking Spanish these days.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MogtheDog:
...I took it upon myself to whistle for my own pigs. The results were less than optimal...

Soooooooooey!*

* sp?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
patrask, if only I had known of all these eateries when I came to LA... I would have gone home ten times heavier!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patrask:
...the article just happens to picture one of my favorite family style restaurants in and around LA: Dupar's...they are likely to be speaking Spanish these days.

Sounds intriguing - I'll go.

And there's one in TO as well. I imagine they still speak un poco Anglais in Thousand Oaks.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Soooooooooey!*

* sp?

Suey, surely.

Yes, I used to enjoy the winners of this contest on the Johnny Carson show back in the eighties.

Please don't think all Americans are like this!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
We used to eat at (forgive me if I misspell)
Belisle's. I understand it's gone now.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II:
Are we talking the place near Disneyland in Anaheim here? The place with the $15.00 hamburgers and the $20.00 milkshakes?

Of course, one hamburger fed a family of 5. And one milkshake could last you all week. Last time I was there was around 1992 thereabouts.

~
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1444370

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
The place with the $15.00 hamburgers and the $20.00 milkshakes?

So you can get a proper meal for $35?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

Suey, surely.

Only if following on from "chop". A word which, in isolation, possesses porcine connotations of its own.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Porcine is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Nard, I honestly don't recall the prices, but if they were that high, I think I would. I only remember the unparalleled selection and immense portions...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post