Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Met Ray when I was a little boy
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Met Ray when I was a little boy
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I was from the time when physical punishment in Catholic high school was an accepted thing. Augustinian monks.

In the school hall when you were not supposed to be? Well, how about a couple or three swift punches to the area right below the rib cage. Caught cheating on a test paper? Oh, not good. Slap across the face open hand. Or, 10 or more hits with the paddle to the back side, a large wooden paddle with holes in it so as to be pulled thru the atmosphere without quivering from deflected wind patterns on its way to the pre-determined target. Oh, what memories of a by- gone day...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, you reminded me - my Grandfather, a Norwegian carpenter, used to make a paddle similar to what you described for our dad to use on us. He called it a "Clobber Stick"!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So THAT'S what the holes were for. Being from public school, I was unaccustomed to such things. Rumor suggested they might be to raise blisters. I became impressed by Catholic school discipline when I played a nun in "The Sound of Music" and former Catholic school victims--er, students--started having flashbacks on glimpsing our costumes when they entered the lobby! (By the way, my niece plays the same part in an upcoming production.)

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, the wonderful nuns of Filippini cut us no slack either!
A pinch here, a tap there, a public reprimand at any time...but greatly a dedicated and caring convent who knew every parent and nurtured (smacks and wraps aside) each child to perform his/her best in every situation encountered. It was good old-fashioned respect and discipline, something our parents expected from educators of that time!!!

http://www.filippiniusa.org/page.cfm?Web_ID=2

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Introvert, welcome to the board. I loved your story. By the way, in fifth grade, I got spanked with a paddle full of holes, and believe me when I say that it serves dual purposes. I couldn't sit down without pain for a day.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I lived in a different world in the fifth grade. Corporal punishment was against the law, punishable by a very angry community. I was fortunate not to have been in a school that allowed the “paddle”.

The fifth grade was the year that we all sat in a circle, with the teacher leading off , and read ‘Tom Sawyer”. The same year that same teacher introduced me to King Arthur and the biographies of Davy Crocket and Jackie Robinson.

I’ll always love her memory. She will live forever.

Rocket, just a passing thought. A couple of times over the past year you made comments that you apparently thought I didn’t care for and as a result apologized for. Man, I can’t think of a thing you’ve said that needed an apology. All your stuff is good and deserves reflection. Your input is what makes the engine run just a little bit smoother.

P.S. Note our numbers.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chapter 31:
Note our numbers.

Uh-oh! Now they're going to become the Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden of the Board!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, a sports fan. Isn’t it fun to realize that they still wear knickers in the game. Knikers is a good word. Didn’t that come up on another thread on the board? What’s the name derived from, the Knickerbockers of New York?

You could fill a volume with Ray’s Irish stories (he did that) or his Father/Priest stories or his Mexico stories but not his sports stories. Not many speculative fiction authors ever did much with sports. “Steel” by Mathison comes to mind though.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I humbly thank you Chapter, I love you man! Your posts are heartfelt, introspectic, and very thought provoking of the smalltown fineries that are rapidly disappearing like afternoon walks on a sunny Oct. day and actually hearing people talk and laugh through open windows. Or watching the fireflies from a screened in porch with cigar embers glowing and the relaxed low talking by the adults. I treasure your stories, they are so real! The reason I apologize is really due to knowing that sometimes my humor is over the top a little and occasionally things I say might be misconstrued. I just don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or step on any toes especially regarding the religion issue. I was a little blunt there to be honest and I felt bad later, that's all. Seriously, all of the sudden, this board has hit a high point like riding a wave, its been a lot of fun with so much input. Keep it up people!!!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...You could fill a volume with Ray’s Irish stories (he did that) or his Father/Priest stories or his Mexico stories but not his sports stories. Not many speculative fiction authors ever did much with sports. “Steel” by Mathison comes to mind though.

I think there was an anthology of SF sports stories a while ago, but it's not something I would be tempted to read.

Bradbury sport stories... I can only think of The Big Black and White Game (which came up on the old board once or twice, partly on account of it being a baseball story in the US, but a CRICKET story in some UK editions of RB's books). Are there any others?

Rod Serling, of course, wrote a bit of SF/fantasy and a bit of boxing fiction (Requiem for a Heavyweight). Can't think of any more.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
philnic,

You made me remember one of my favourite movies, "Field of Dreams," which is a wonderful mix of fantasy and athletics (baseball). It was based on the novel "Shoeless Joe" which,IMHO, did not come close to the movie version.

*Back to introvert*

Your story is a testament to the power of "one" and how one teacher led you to the worlds of Ray Bradbury. I've heard Mr. Dark speak many times of how his mind was opened to a world of ideas by reading Ray Bradbury as a young man.

These testimonials are why RB is already immortal. Living and immortal. Not bad for a working writer in LA.

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is "Kick The Can" a sport?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should clarify my earlier post. I love all of you on this board!!! I really would like to meet some of you in person, would that be too nerdy?

posted Hide Post
"...I really would like to meet some of you in person, would that be too nerdy?"

In my case, you'd be disappointed!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Ah, a sports fan.

You betcha! College football, Ray Bradbury, and The Andy Griffith Show! Who couldn't fill up a life with that?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post