Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Grim I know, but....

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grim I know, but....
 Login/Join

posted
It occurred to me how old some of my pop culture heroes have become. How many of them have been lost to me before I ever had a chance to send a note to tell them how much they meant to me. Yes, I know, what is one little note from one insignificant teacher in Florida, when compared to the years of awards, accolades, and hearty congrats from myriad public figures and famous folks. Well, it will make me feel better anyhow.

Ray Bradbury has been a favorite of mine since I stumbled upon a book of plays in a used bookstore at the age of 9. The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit and Other Plays; I read that book, and drifted off to the library in a daze of beautiful words, eager to read more. Over the years I have read almost all of the stories and novels, and have taught a few of them, too. Well, I did my best to teach them; modern youth are notoriously difficult to engage in anything that doesn't come with an electrical cord.

Bradbury's work has meant so much to me, especially Fahrenheit 451. Every year I have to laugh at the irony of 120 teenagers whining that they don't see why they have to read �this dumb book�, completely failing to recognize with a shudder, as I do, that this is the world they live in, laid out in fine detail by an author-prophet some 40 years ago.

Thank you Mr. Bradbury for a greatly enriched reading life.

Posts: 1 | Location: Tampa, FL USA | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with you. Ray Bradbury has inspired me in my art and writing...he's my hero.

Posts: 2 | Location: ddd, il, usa | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could not agree more. His impact on my life has been absolutely phenomenal -- from when I first read F451 in 9th grade to today.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post