Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Dandelion Wine and my first novel

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dandelion Wine and my first novel
 Login/Join

posted
Does Ray mentor?

I am into rewriting the draft of my first novel, which is inspired by Dandelion Wine.

My online novel instructor hasn't read Dandelion Wine and keeps trying to force my novel into an alien structure.

It would be a dream come true to work directly with Ray.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Writer:
My online novel instructor hasn't read Dandelion Wine and keeps trying to force my novel into an alien structure.

Sounds like your online novel instructor is rather suspect!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With some "professional writing courses" (particularly distance-learning ones), the whole thrust of the course is writing something which will sell. Consequently, they emphasise "tried and tested" structures that will turn you into a writer of page-turners.

The online novel instructor may be good at that, but not so good at encouraging your ability to express yourself in a form that suits your ideas.

I always recommend studying creative writing through a university (a route I have followed myself), as this is more likely to give you freedom of expression, professional feedback and a broader scope than write-to-order courses.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your replies.

I live in a Spanish speaking Third World country. My novel is in English.

Hence the need for online mentoring.

Anyone know how I can contact Ray to ask him if he is available for mentoring?

posted Hide Post
Well, you could ask, but I would seriously doubt it. The reason I say this is that I have personally witnessed him turn down a similar request made by someone with whom he has an association.

He kindly explained to the gentleman that his eyesight is such that it makes reading very difficult. You know he's blind in one eye. That being said, his Third Eye is working very well, indeed!

If you were local to the area, I would recommend that you take author Dennis Etchison's writing classes given on occasion (for a very modest fee) at Mystery & Imagination bookstore here in the Los Angeles area. They include personal feedback, and Dennis is one of the great writers of horror, and a close friend of Ray.

Good luck!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info.

I appreciate it.

Bye!