Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    Ray Bradbury - mastermind and creator

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Bradbury - mastermind and creator
 Login/Join

posted
I'm just 15 years old and my reading experience is rather limited. I mean that I managed to read almost every single book by this stunning author in translation (im Russian) but not in the original because it is next to impossible to find his books in the original - complete and unabridged. I'm sure it is difficult to appreciate his style and structure reading a translation (no matter how talented it is) but as I had some short stories I can understand his way of writing and, more importantly, perceiving the world. He is an amazing person, his prose is genuine and inspiring and I must confess, I miss America of the time he tells me and other responsive readers about. It sounds rather queer but it is certainly true. I mean I would like to live my life in a town like in "Dandelion Wine" and be just as young and happy, as he, I'm sure used to be. His style is brilliant and truly involving. But he doesn't 'trifle' with it - everything seems to be written virtually effortlessly.
Now I'm going through a stage and life here in Russia is not too promising, too joyful - it's full of difficulties, obstacles and contraversy. And Ray Bradbury inspires me to live, try to bring about changes and be more of a person, who believes in beauty and Life!

Posts: 1 | Location: Perm, Russia | Registered: 10 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ostrich: you seem to have a good understanding of RB across the language and cultural lines. That is nice to hear. If you get a chance to pick up a video from time to time, try some of these (definitely read the book in each case): Something Wicked This Way Comes (great fantasy), Wonderful Ice Cream Suit (addresses concerns for "Hope" similar to those you speak of in contemporary Russia), and Fahrenheit 451 (lesson?...read, read, read).

Also, get copies of Zen in the Art of Writing & Yestermorrow. These are articles in format. Mr. Bradbury talks about what inspired him as a young man, how he views present society, and what hopes he has for things to come - cities, space, technology, mankind. He believes creative and inquistive minds, just like yours, can get it done!! I see him as a meliorist.

Good Luck! (How do you say that in Russian?)

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 06-11-2004).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ostrich, welcome aboard. I enjoyed reading your comments about Uncle Ray. I understand exactly what you mean about wishing for simpler times, and growing up like the people did in Ray's stories. I too long for those days at times. I had a taste of that life growing up, and often feel much more at ease and at peace when I go back home to visit my parents. I think people today are in too much of a hurry and too caught up with the ever increasing technology. Oh, I love my computer and many of my other gadgets, but there are times I wish for good old Greentown, USA. We hope to hear from you again soon!

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post