Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Inspired by Ray?    HOW IT ALL BEGAN

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HOW IT ALL BEGAN
 Login/Join

posted
NINTH GRAD, HALF DOZING ON MY FRIEND'S BED. I LISTENED AS SHE READ ALOUD FROM THE MARTIANS CHRONICLES. AS THE STORY DEVELOPED, I BECAME ALERT AND ANXIOUS FOR THE NEXT SENTENCE, AND MY INTEREST GREW FROM THAT DAY. A NEW GENRE, AN AWAKENING, A KEY TO A DOOR JUST DISCOVERED. MY INTEREST BECAME A PASSION THAT HAS NOT WANED IN 35 YEARS. I DON'T BELIEVE I WOULD HAVE BECOME THE VORACIOUS READER OF ALL FINE WORKS IF MY INTRODUCTION TO RAY BRADBURY HAD NEVER TAKEN PLACE. TO HIM, I OWE A WEALTH OF KNOWLEGE ND PLEASURE I HAVE ENJOYED EVERY DAY SINCE THAT DAY SO MANY WONDERFUL BOOKS AGO.

MONICA

MONICA

Posts: 1 | Location: KELSEYVILLE, CA, USA | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm the same. I read a lot now in a wide variety of fields. But was a total non-reader (except Marvel Comics and Mad Magazine) until a 9th grade reading of F451, followed by Something Wicked, Martian Chronicles, then all his other available works.

He definitely lit a fire that has not gone out.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely, the man catches sparks, and traps them in prose. Sleeps with Muses, and wakes with dreams in his fingers, we are all benifactors that have been lucky enough to follow in the comets tail laughing, crying, and smiling in wonder with awe at his continued path. I started reading Ray, at eleven on a rocky cliff reading the Illustated Man, over looking Heben Lake in Montana. I am 42 now I work/Live in a University, Interlibrary Loan office providing materials nationwide for Students/Faculty. Do I read?
It's like breathing, it has to be done.
who helped light the conflagration, the roaring heap of desire for more books.
Mr 451. Live on
Ray,Electico,Pandemonium,Bradbury, you were the one who started the inertia now its become a vocation, no regrets.
A.G.Smith

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Dandelion Wine" was my introduction to Ray's work. Definitely one of a kind. When I tried to imitate him, I sounded pretentious and hollow. His prose is more poetic than the poetry of many, and often more touching.

I agree with him: "Stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you."

Posts: 1 | Location: Ben Lomond, CA | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was young, educational institutions didn't know about learning disabilities. I had alot of trouble reading, I decided to teach myself. Short stories are, well, short and sci-fi and fantasy held my interest. I loved the stories of Ray. I'm in my 50's now and can read about as fast as someone who's learned English as a second language. I also went to college and all that too. Thanks Ray Bradbury!!!

Posts: 1 | Location: Boulder CO | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post