Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    'The Murderer'

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'The Murderer'
 Login/Join

posted
in what ways are form,structure and language presented in 'The Murderer'. PLEASE NOTE: if you can give examples from text to supprot comments so I can understand were your coming from.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 29 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just curious, or hoping we'd do your homework for you?

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I know is form, structure, language, and TIMING were EVERYTHING in "The Murderer" and "Exorcism." These were two of the most hilarious stories Bradbury ever wrote in print, and so NOT FUNNY on film, at least in the "Ray Bradbury Theater" versions--I think "Exorcism" might still be very funny if done right--well, it wasn't funny.

I think about "The Murderer" fairly often since getting a cell phone. It's one thing to read the story in the 1970s with Kleenex stuffed in your ears to keep from being tortured by extraneous noise, when the thought of destroying the loudspeakers is howlingly hilarious. It's another thing to own a device you can't have imagined owning ten years ago let alone thirty, and become attached to it in ways you could never have guessed, then see some guy going down the street smashing them right and left. Painful, I believe, is the word. NOT funny!

Posts: 7306 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even more amazingly (RB works seem continually to be more current now into 50+yrs of publication) is The Murderer was in GAotS with a '53 copyright date, or thereabouts.

Though not allowed (right!?*&) activated in my classes, cell phones still go off in pockets and purses, instant messages jingle away, earplugged i-pods beetle the ears of hallway passers, and on and on and on! It is a losing battle it seems...thus The Murderer!

No tv, weii, gameboys, cells, etc. under in our domicile --so far.

The metaphor of "the bomb" (post WWII) intrinsic in The Flying Machine, yes!! Somebody asked about this theme somewhere. Was it in Q's to Mr. B? (I'll go and see.)

Posts: 2808 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And to think Frank, your boys don't hate you. If there were any feelings of envy on your son's part, years later they will both thank you for making sure they have experienced the old fashion and simple aspects of life. After reading your comment I realize how ridiculous all this technology is becoming.

I took that day off from my advertising job to do taxes and my co-worker there just spent $200+ for a blackberry cell phone that even has a mouse! What's next? It will wipe your butt for you?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be careful what you ask for, you (or someone, anyway) may get it!

Posts: 7306 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane, I am not sure if that luxury was included in The Veldt!

Posts: 2808 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post