Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Taking a step back
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking a step back
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keens:
So the way I see it is your favorite human companion is of the age 47? It tickles the less understanding part of my brain as to why you choose to hold back.

Mog the Dog here. Yes, she will be 47 the day Bradbury turns 90. I, myself, am most likely 45 already, but I will not celebrate the occasion until the 25th of December. I do know that 45 is old for a little toy brindle dog. Take a glance at me and see if you agree:

Ray took the Sharpie pen to me a couple of years ago. Can you make out his autograph on my backside?

Now that you can see that I am not a man, but instead a metaphor, maybe you can better understand why I will never know the exact date of my creation.

MTD

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mog, you are definitely REAL!

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."
The Velveteen Rabbit

As for the marks on your back, I'd never have guessed it was Ray's signature. I thought it was evidence of your brindling!

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The true identity of this forsaken intelligence could never lie in the depths of a furry 4-legged mammal. This unworthy game is no longer enjoyable, your daughters dog is no longer necessary as a metaphor to hide yourself.

Posts: 7 | Location: hampt,va | Registered: 20 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taking a step back...
Personally, I find the writings of Ray Bradbury are filled with soul and they have been an enormous source of consolation the past few years.
If you want a deeper insight into Ray Bradbury one of the best sourcbooks is Ray Bradbury THE LIFE OF FICTION by Jon Eller and William Touponce.
Have not corresponded with MogtheDog or her human companion, but the approach they have to this board is endearingly creative and unique.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keens:
The true identity of this forsaken intelligence could never lie in the depths of a furry 4-legged mammal.

Nor was poor old Mrs. Bently ever a little girl, for that matter. How dare she hide behind the metaphor of a first name and torment the young ones so mercilessly! Indeed, there simply is nothing at all enjoyable about being Alice or Jane in A Season of Disbelief...

Heh...heh...heh...

MTD

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linnl:

Have not corresponded with MogtheDog or her human companion, but the approach they have to this board is endearingly creative and unique.

Hi Linnl,

Mog the Dog here. Nice to correspond with you for the first time! I do want to set the record straight, though, that I am a male dog. Now that that is settled, I can go on to say that I have observed Bradbury's stories come to life in my human companions' lives, just like the tattoos came to life on that guy in The Illustrated Man, and yes, each one is capable of soothing the most troubled soul through any life crisis.

MTD

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Mog, you are definitely REAL!

Thanks for the reminder, and for sharing such a touching quotation from one of my favorite stories! Indeed, most of my faux fur has been loved off and my joints are lax. Oh, and I lost my little red felt tongue somewhere in the San Francisco Bay Area back in the Seventies. So, I, Mog the Dog, am becoming. What I fine thought on such a fine day...

MTD

posted Hide Post
You enjoy the view from up there, don't you MTD? Power is quite a desirable and easily flaunted thing, its very unwise to be overly gracious but I choose such a passive approach to sustain myself on more occasions than not.

Posts: 7 | Location: hampt,va | Registered: 20 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post