Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Good Reading, They Come and GO

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Reading, They Come and GO
 Login/Join

posted

Posts: 10 | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4R: What an article! I have made a copy of it and will include in my F451 unit next time offered. Amen.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the Amazon-bookstore comparison.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4, I emailed Ray your link for his viewing pleasure, and later in the day I saw him and told him about it. He said "we'll have to go there soon". I thought, "you took the words right outta..."

As jkt was present, he also got in on the invite, so this quirky trinity will be visiting Acres before the wrecking ball does.

I'll take footage, of course.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quirky is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dust off your copy of Brave New World:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7918296.stm

Posts: 2807 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Dust off your copy of Brave New World:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7918296.stm

I have three Easton Press editons on display between Atlas brass booksends. Brave New World, 1984 and Fahrenehit 451. If I do say so myself, it makes a lovely presentation. She who must be obeyed made me take down my other shrine, a bottle of Dandelion Wine being held in a black-wire spooky Halloween Tree.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jkt, I taught a distance learning SF class for several years with these three titles (F451, 1984, BNW) as a core of the curriculum!

Actually, I am presently doing Frankenstein for the first time in quite a while, also a title of that SF course. Others included, Time Machine, Jekyl and Hyde, and Flowers for Algernon...to name a few. Each of these dealt with the theme of individuals applying technology to manipulate, upend, or obliterate the culture as we know it!

Ironically, all of these have come to pass to some degree... save Wells' Time Traveller's tale.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I am presently doing Frankenstein for the first time in quite a while...

So you will going to the auction to bid on Uncle Forry's editon of Frankenstein?

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling that the going price may be just out of my price range!

After the reading of Shelley's novel and concluding other related activities, we view Mr. Karloff's timeless performance:
http://www.doctormacro1.info/I...stein,%20The)_01.jpg

http://badelements.net/frankenstein.jpg

...and then the 90's version with Robert De Niro:
http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/...msg-121052807634.jpg

http://members.aon.at/frankens...ages/deniro+book.jpg

posted Hide Post
quote:

We board members could go in together. I could pick it up, and keep it for us!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:

We board members could go in together. I could pick it up, and keep it for us!

I am conflicted, she-who-must-be-obeyed has given me permission to attend and maybe even bid. But, it may be too sad seeing a lifetime being scatted to the seven seas.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
I am conflicted...it may be too sad seeing a lifetime being scattered to the seven seas.

But perhaps by catching a few of those scatterings, some sadness could be bought off.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
We board members could go in together. I could pick it up, and keep it for us

DS, You'd do that for us!!?

posted Hide Post
quote:
DS, You'd do that for us!!?

Anything for you guys!

I'm just funning you, of course. We'd each wear it one night per week!

"Live Forever!"