Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Two stories related to Fahrenheit 451.

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two stories related to Fahrenheit 451.
 Login/Join

posted
I wonder if anyone here can please answer something I've been wondering about for years, but haven't been able to find out anywhere.

Years ago I seem to remember reading somewhere that there were two short stories which were related in some way to the novel "Fahrenheit 451". I'm not quite sure what was meant by this, but I suppose it would mean some of the same characters or situations were in common between the novel and the two stories. But my memory of this is so vague I'm not sure I have this correct, and whether any such stories exist at all.

Researching it on the Internet, I found that an early edition of "Fahrenheit 451" was published with two short stories included - "The Playground" and "And the Rock Cried Out" (also known as "The Millionth Murder") - and I thought these might be the two stories that were related. But, judging by the very meagre information I've so far been able to find out about these stories, they don't appear to be related to the novel, and were merely published in the same volume.

Could anyone please tell me if I am remembering correctly that two stories do exist which are in some way related to "Fahrenheit 451", what they are called, and where I could find a copy?

Thank you.

Regards, Michael Edwards.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 06 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Might you be referring to "The Fireman" from which F451 evolved (as many of Mr. Bradbury's works seem to do)?

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjpalumbo:
Might you be referring to "The Fireman" from which F451 evolved (as many of Mr. Bradbury's works seem to do)?

I don't think so; I already knew about that, and wasn't thinking of that. It was a good many years ago, but I definitely (for what it's worth) recall that it was *two* stories, quite separate from "The Fireman", and they were *different* stories - not merely an earlier version of the same story.

I'm beginning to think I remembered it wrongly, and these stories don't exist after all. Perhaps I only read about two (unrelated) stories being published in the same volume, and somehow in my memory it got changed into those stories being *related*.

But if anyone gets any further ideas about this, I'd appreciate hearing from them. Thanks.

Regards, Michael Edwards.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 06 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think one of the books you were talking about is The Pedestrian. We are studying it in class. I hope this helps.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 03 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about "The Exiles" in which the famous authors and their works have been chased to Mars? Though intended, no escape is possible and they dust away when the final burnings occur.

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently finished listening to the audio book version of The Martion Chronicles, read by Bradbury himself.

Between stories, he discusses other works that were influencing him at the time and what future works had been influenced by particular stories.

I can't remember the specifics, but he discusses connections between a few of the stories and F451. I found the dialog between the stories fascinating.

Note: I got that version online at audible.com

Posts: 3 | Location: Seattle, WA, US | Registered: 09 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post