Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Question about Gauntlet Press' "MATCH TO FLAME: THE FICTIONAL PATHS FAHRENHEIT-451"

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about Gauntlet Press' "MATCH TO FLAME: THE FICTIONAL PATHS FAHRENHEIT-451"
 Login/Join

posted
All,

As you may know, Gauntlet Press is coming out with "MATCH TO FLAME: THE FICTIONAL PATHS TO FAHRENHEIT-451", a collection of stories that are related to F451. I will include the list below.

My question is, can anyone identify those stores on the list that are hard to come by or have not been in print for a long time? I know two of the titles say unpublished, but I would like to know the rarity of the others.

Thanks,

Brad

Story List
----------

"Reincarnate"
"Pillar of Fire"
"The Library"
"Bright Phoenix"
"Mad Witches of Mars"
"Carnival of Madness"
"The Mechanical Hound"
"The Bonfire"
"The Pedestrian"
"The Smile"
"The Garbage Collector"
"When Ignorant Armies Clash" (unpublished novella)
"Long After Midnight" (unpublished novella)
"The Fireman"

Posts: 112 | Location: Around Greentown | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Reincarnate" -- never heard of this but could be a retitling of something else.
"Pillar of Fire" -- well-known
"The Library" -- never heard of this but could be a retitling of something else.
"Bright Phoenix" -- last I checked this was rare.
"Mad Witches of Mars" -- has appeared in at least one collection
"Carnival of Madness" -- better known as "Usher II" in "The Martian Chronicles"
"The Mechanical Hound" -- Part of "Fahrenheit 451"
"The Bonfire" -- last I checked this was rare.
"The Pedestrian" -- extremely well-known
"The Smile" -- has appeared in at least one collection
"The Garbage Collector" -- has appeared in at least one collection
"When Ignorant Armies Clash" (unpublished novella)
"Long After Midnight" (unpublished novella)
"The Fireman" -- anthologized but never collected in this form; original long short story which became "Fahrenheit 451."

Without checking, I don't think "Bright Phoenix" and "The Bonfire" have been collected or even anthologized. Can anyone enlighten me on the contents of the others I'm not sure about?

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bright Phoenix - was collected in BRADBURY STORIES
Mad Witches of Mars - is this a typo? I know of Mad WIZARDS of Mars (better known as "The Exiles", collected in BRADBURY STORIES, R IS FOR ROCKET, THE ILLUSTRATED MAN)
The Bonfire - uncollected to date - has appeared in one magazine and one anthology
The Smile - appears in five of Bradbury's collections
Garbage Collector- appears in three of Bradbury's collections
Long After Midnight - presumably NOT the short story collected in the collection of the same name, but I don't know anything about this one. (I'll look it up in Eller & Touponce later.)

For more details of any of the above, the best web place to look is my Short Story Finder.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm really looking forward to MATCH TO FLAME. Some of the stories are very familiar of course, but others aren't (such as the well known but little-read 'The Fireman').

Does anyone have a definite publication date yet? (Gauntlet are being a bit elusive on the subject...)

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just heard back from Gauntlet - publication has been delayed slightly until June.

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And the Hill House edition of Martian Chronicles has been pushed back to September or October.

Posts: 112 | Location: Around Greentown | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just called Donn Albright and he was working on the computer as I was speaking to him finishing up last minute details in regard to the cover art. He has reviewed the bound pre press copies and they look good he said.

He is thinking that the book will be out before June. I will check back with later to see if there might be a bit more of a definitive date.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post