Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Can't find the name of this short story
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can't find the name of this short story
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, can anyone help? I'm looking for thename of one of Ray's short stories. I read this years ago. I can't remember much detail but their is a scene where the protagonist's son contacts him via a wristbound type cellphone and enquires after his monthly allowance. Not much to go on.........but I'm desparate!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: 08 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Murderer." You'll be amazed when you reread this story written over 50 years ago to see how Bradbury predicted the mobile-communications-bound world.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can relate to the Protag in this story...right down to the chocolate ice cream!!

Posts: 2806 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
I can relate to the Protag in this story...right down to the chocolate ice cream!!

It was French Vanilla, I believe--one of the funniest bits in the story. Unfortunately, the comedic elements did not translate to film as he trashed everybody's cell phone and Blackberry.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Was there a reason for selecting French chocolate ice cream to spoon into the broadcasting unit?"

Brock thought about it and smiled. "It's my favorite flavor!"

(Dandy, I had thought there was "French" in the choice when I posted the other day.)

Posts: 2806 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
"The Murderer." You'll be amazed when you reread this story written over 50 years ago to see how Bradbury predicted the mobile-communications-bound world.

By 1953, US Signal Corp came out with a wrist radio. But comic-strip Dick Tracy was walking around with a wrist radio for two-way communication in the 1940's. Likely Bradbury got the idea from Dick Tracy. But his idea of the F-451 Faber ear device for communication supposedly had influence on the Japanese Walkman.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about The Veldt nursery and virtual reality programs of today?

posted Hide Post
fjp451
In the late 1940's, a program was beginning to be envisioned using TV as a means of interviewing between people or groups. That finally gave way to the 1953 program of Person to Person. Edward R. Murrow came up with the idea. He sat before a large wall-screen TV and talked with others in an interview style. Here is the only YOUTUBE of Person to Person I can immediately locate. It's from 1958. For the first minute, Edward R. Murrow talks about who he is to interview. Then the cameras pan to the large wall-screen! Mind you, the program-style had already been broadcast for some 5 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhI8YSBREt8

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
But his idea of the F-451 Faber ear device for communication supposedly had influence on the Japanese Walkman.

And the bluetooth.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They should have called it BlueEar after were this thing all day that is what your ear looks like. I prefer the fighter pilot headset, "pilot to bombadier,. open bombbay doors."

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
embroiderer, that is really a neat clip. It had to seem so futuristic for the viewers of the time. All those cigarettes being smoked were kind of like "Denham' Dentrifice" in F451, subliminal advertising with every moment. It had to enhance the popularity of smoking across the population.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
embroiderer, that is really a neat clip. It had to seem so futuristic for the viewers of the time. All those cigarettes being smoked were kind of like "Denham' Dentrifice" in F451, subliminal advertising with every moment. It had to enhance the popularity of smoking across the population.

Naw! The problem was that everyone smoked back then. It was as common as walking with shoes. It was just, normal!

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
These commercials are recent, in terms of history of cigarettes in the public conscience. And that Flintstone commercial is not from the 1950's since the Flintstones didn't hit the TVs until the 1960's.

Tabacco was brought to Europe by the likes of Columbus, introduced by the Indians. It's been around as a common inhalation for centuries.

Take a look at this commercial. Cigarettes may not have had that dangerous element connected with them in the general public years and years ago, but neither did Geritol. When it proved to provoke heart-attacks, it was taken off the market. But, boy, was it ever popular in its day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pni9ZePXR-w

posted Hide Post
I can't even pass by cigarette smoke that it doesn't harrass my frame of mind, not to mention my lungs!

Today:
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100146&id=prod3206#ingredient

(Niacin is a real system charger!)