Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Online reading
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Online reading
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
To dlowell_rb

Very cool thoughts on getting to experience the writer's intellectual "experience" of the stories. I would love to be able to experience "Something Wicked This Way Comes" exactly as imagined by Bradbury.

On the other hand, wouldn't Bradbury's actual version of the story change as he went through various life experiences? I'll bet his visualization of his early works would take on significant differences were he to "write" them again. For me, religion and the meaning of its stories and symbols have all changed for me as I've aged and gone through life's beauties and its garbage. I have to imagine that an author's vision of a story would be different at different stages of his/her life, and that, as a result, the stories would also change.

Also, for me, the thing that makes literature great, is that it creates a climate where a story is collaborative between the author and the reader. As I read Farenheit 451, for example, I create the looks of the characters, the sounds of their voices, their mannerisms. I create the settings (within the parameters allowed by the descriptions). I analyze and interpret the impact and import of the various ideas as they are argued by characters or articulated by a narrator. As much as I love film (and I'm a big fan!), they formulate more of the experience for the viewer than a book does for the reader. Film, to the viewer, is a much more passive medium than is a book to the reader. In a film, the images are already provided, in a book, we make them ourselves. [I will concede that it is far easier to make out with a loved one while watching a film than while reading a book; so I'll gladly concede that advantage to film!]

The work of reading requires a phenomenal application of the imagination to make the experience complete. People who say reading is boring are either reading the wrong stuff, or have not yet developed their imaginative faculties to the point where reading is a "living" and "creative" experience for them. Too bad for them.

I love this quote on reading by Henry Thoreau:

"To read well, that is, to read true books in a true spirit, is a noble exercise, and one that will task the reader more than any exercise which the cusyoms of the day esteem. It requires a training such as the athletes underwent, the steady intention almost of the whole life to this object. Books must be read as deliberately and reservedly as they were written." (Walden)

I realize your concluding sentence in the third paragraph provides for the individual use of the imagination -- so I'm really just affirming a part of your posting.

On the idea of implants behind the eyelids . . . I can't even force myself to do contacts! This is one that will take younger and braver souls than I.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response, Mr. Dark.

You've added some intriguing insight.

Posts: 31 | Location: Newbury Park, CA, USA | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark, an old posting, but you make mention of what it would be like if Ray Bradbury were to write the old stuff again, and by his new experiences, what that would be like. Well, I hear that Farewell Summer is a lot like that. Originally written back when Dandelion Wine was written, and now, for the last year of two, re-edited, re-written with some 50 years of experience in between. I have not read it yet, but look forward to reading the book soon.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, it should be fascinating to see the difference that 50 additional years of perspective brings to a writer. In reality, of course, it will be very hard to figure out which bits were written in the 1950s and which bits were written last month.

Ray's stage play of Dandelion Wine is interesting, because he introduces a character who is a writer visiting Green Town. This allows RB to dramatise his novel, but also to enter the story and view it from the inside.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post