Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Fahrenheit question

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fahrenheit question
 Login/Join

posted
I'm teaching Fahrenheit 451 and looking for anyone who knows why Mr. Bradbury chose Alexander Smith's quote from Dreamthorp ("Time has fallen asleep in the afternoon sunshine") as the first quote Montag is exposed to. All I'm finding online are people making the allusion, but no one is speculating on why he chose that particular piece. Ideas?

Posts: 2 | Registered: 06 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pdiablo:
I'm teaching Fahrenheit 451 and looking for anyone who knows why Mr. Bradbury chose Alexander Smith's quote from Dreamthorp ("Time has fallen asleep in the afternoon sunshine") as the first quote Montag is exposed to. All I'm finding online are people making the allusion, but no one is speculating on why he chose that particular piece. Ideas?

I've faxed your question to Ray and will hopefully have an answer for you by Saturday.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pdiablo:

pdiablo: Are you ready for the answer? Drum roll please...

Ray said, "It just came to me. I do not remember why, stories just write themselves."

There you have it, a blinding stroke of genius, nothing more...nothing less.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the response. As a writer, myself, I understand. I was just curious if there was anything else. I have my students pick one of the many quotes from the book and write about it in regards to one of our discussion topics (censorship, perfect civilization, etc...) and I've found many of them find that quote to be their favorite.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 06 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post