Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Lorelei of the Red Mist Limited Edition

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lorelei of the Red Mist Limited Edition
 Login/Join

posted
Haffner Press has announced the publishing (scheduled for August, 2008) of the 100-copy limited edition of its Leigh Brackett colection, LORELEI OF THE RED MIST.

"Lorelei of the Red Mist", of course, is the famous Brackett/Bradbury collaboration that appeared in the pulp magazine PLANET STORIES in 1946, with the uncompleted story finished by Ray when his dear friend Leigh Brackett got tied up writing the screenplay for Howard Hawks' film, THE BIG SLEEP, with Bogart and Bacall. The Haffner Press limited edition contains several extra items not found in the trade edition that may be of interest to Ray's fans and collectors:

"Limited to 100 copies, this special edition of Lorelei of the Red Mist is signed by the author of the introduction, Harry Turtledove, on a Frank Kelly Freas-illustrated limitation sheet and housed in a matching Black Arrestox cloth-covered slipcase. This edition is also an extra special treat for admirers of both Leigh Brackett and Ray Bradbury: housed in the slipcase is a 70-page chapbook, BRACKETT TALES! Internally formatted to mimic the design of the original Planet Stories pulp magazine, BRACKETT TALES is chock full of vintage goodies, including a facsimile reprint of "Lorelei of the Red Mist" from its first appearance in 1946.

Thanks to the efforts of Bradbury collector/archivist, Donn Albright, two rare fanzine works (one short story and one essay) of Brackett have been supplemented by personal correspondence between Bradbury and Brackett from the early 40s through the 1970s. Donn also provided images of books inscribed by Bradbury to Leigh Brackett and Edmond Hamilton."

As someone who regularly purchases the books published by Haffner Press, I can verify that all of its books, both the trade and limited editions, are beautifully done. And an unsigned trade edition, with a forward by Ray, is available for $40. Further information, for anyone interested, can be found by clicking on the following link:

http://www.haffnerpress.com/1893887251.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,

Posts: 2478 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There goes next month's mortgage. Smiler

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yikes! Still cheaper than the special edition of The Martian Chronicles (which still hasn't appeared, over a year on).

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then there's always the $40 version.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but it's the expensive one that gets you all the great extras.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Well.

A $40 version has been out for, at least, 8 months. The copyright is dated 2007. This edition gives MR. B co-authorship of the one story, on page 213. It has (with Ray Bradbury) under Leigh Brackett's name. The inner flap has the Limited Edition listed at $125.00.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a very nice comic book (I have a hard time saying graphic novel) of Lorelei of the Redmist, too.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Hey everybody!

Thanks to Rick Kaminsky for posting the details about the slipcased edition of LORELEI OF THE RED MIST: PLANETARY ROMANCES.

Thanks also to "JTK" for pointing out the the dustjacket proclaims a price of $125 for the ltd. ed., NOT $150 as listed in the various solicitations for this state. So, a keen eye pays off for everyone, and the limited edition of LORELEI will be selling for $125 and those kind souls who ordered at the $150 price will be happily refunded for the difference.

BTW, The various reports and pictures from the recent Eaton Conference are fantastic -- we will totally be there in 2009.

Stephen Haffner
Big Poobah
HAFFNER PRESS

Posts: 1 | Registered: 07 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I said it before, and I'll say it again: poobah is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Ordered. It looks like a wonderful presentation. I'm very excited!

Posts: 81 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received my copy of the Haffner Press slipcased, limited edition of LORELEI OF THE RED MIST yesterday. It was the Press's usual fine quality publication. And, thanks to John, I also received a $25 refund check! BRACKETT TALES, the paperback supplement that comes with the limited edition, was fascinating, especially for the correspondence between Brackett and Bradbury through the years, as well as Ray's touching 1991 poem called "For Leigh Brackett", in which Ray describes speaking to his hospitalized dear friend right before her death, noting that because the doctors had injected her with pain-killing drugs, their final conversation was filled with laughter rather than pain and agony.

Posts: 2478 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post