Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray Bradbury Day in Chicago

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Bradbury Day in Chicago
 Login/Join

posted
Just a brief reminder that Monday, April 18, 2005, is Ray Bradbury Day in Chicago, by proclamation of Mayor Richard Daley. There will be a number of events starting at 6 PM at the Harold Washington Public Library in downtown Chicago, including a interview with Sam Weller, readings of Ray's work, and a telephone conference call with Ray himself from his home in Los Angeles. Also, today's Sunday Chicago Tribune contained a wonderful article on Ray headlined, "Bradbury Straddles Generations", discussing how Ray's writing is timeless and appeals to all ages and generations. Great stuff!

Posts: 2482 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard: Do you know where we could get a copy of that article? It expresses a sentiment many times expressed on these boards.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should be able to access the article on the Chicago Tribune website. It appeared in the "Entertainment" section of today's paper:

http://www.chicagotribune.com

Posts: 2482 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonderful article, Richard. Now I have to go back and reread each story mentioned! I always loved the one about bringing Thomas Wolfe back to life.

FYI - I've taken on a new name, The Lake. I used to moonlight as Green Shadow. When I can, I'll drop in and post any new links I happen on.

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OOOOOOH! I'm hopping mad that all the cool stuff happens in L.A. and Chicago. And to think I lived in L.A. until I was seventeen and never took advantage of it. Hey, I was only a kid busy being a kid.

Hi, Green....er, The Lake. Glad you found your way in here. Maybe we should start some kind of "Roll Call" thread, so those of us who had to change our handles can identify ourselves to the others. I know some people are having difficulties registering.

scarywarhol is stuck in the old haunts, but I can think of worse places to be stuck. We're still getting new visitors and new members posting questions. The only way I can think of that they're getting in over there is thru search engines.

Here's a link to the old haunts for anyone interested - http://www.raybradbury.com/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grasstains,

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was a really good article. Great kudos on Sam's book in there, too.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was happy to see this article when I picked up the paper today. It is clear that Keller is a fan, and I liked her comments about Sam's book as well. I am in total Ray immersion right now, and loving every minute of it. I am teaching some of his short stories right now to two of my classes and teaching Martian Chronicles to a third. I hadn't read the novel in about three years, and I'm loving every word of it. I started Sam's book this afternoon. I had lots of paperwork to do, so I told myself I would only read the intro for now. Ha ha. One hour later, I am 50 pages in, and I can't put it down. For years I have struggled to explain to myself and to my students exactly why it is I love Ray and his writing so much. It is so instinctual to me, I have never been able to adequately articulate it. And then along comes Sam. He says what I have tried in vain to say for years. I love every word of it. I have already cried twice and laughed several times, too. It is wonderful!!!! I will celebrate Ray's special day in Chicago tomorrow by reading one of his stories to my homeroom. Hmm, must go select one now......

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMskipper--

Thank you so much for your very kind words. What a meaningful compliment. This made my morning. I'm going to show your post to Ray.

As you are in Naperville, try to come downtown tonight.

And for those in the Chicago metro area, I will be on WBEZ (NPR affiliate) this morning between 10 and 11 am. It's 91.5 on the FM dial. The interview will be posted on the station's web site later today. www.wbwz.org.
Thanks to everyone for being so supportive. We all share a deep respect and love for Ray and his works.

Best,

Sam

Posts: 104 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am flattered that you would say that, Sam. Unfortunately, I could not make it in to the Washington Library festivities tonight because I was running my middle school book club, but I will be coming to either the Printer's Row Book Fair or the May 1 Barnes and Noble signing. I look forward to meeting you then!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post