Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Short story help

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short story help
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone know a theme that matches "All Summer In a Day"? I REALLY need help with this. Any help will be deeply appreciated.

P.S. It can't be by Ray Bradbury... T_T

Posts: 1 | Registered: 24 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yuki:

This is a stretch, but the short story, ''Strange Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge''...may be 'argued' that it has a similar theme. See: http://www.eastoftheweb.com/short-stories/UBooks/OccOwl.shtml

A man is going to hanged, and in the terribleness of it all, we see him escaping and running home to his wife. But at that very last moment, the noose takes hold and the man's life is ended. We then realize all was a fantasy. While about to be hanged, the man 'dreams' about going home. Now I said this was a strech, but I can't think of another off hand.

The little girl in the Ray Bradbury story...'dreams' about something she saw when she was very little. The memory of sunshine! We can say this is similar to the man about to be executed dreaming about going home. The hanging, in the very last scene, can be related to the little girl being locked in the closet, like death taking hold. Even her release from the closet, is still a scene of death. The sunshine is not there. All is gone.

Perhaps someone else got something less arguable. That may be a hard one to find. This ''IS'' a Bradbury story, you know. And comparasions here are most difficult.

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 02-25-2005).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post