Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Fahrenheit 9/11 Please Reconsider Ray....

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fahrenheit 9/11 Please Reconsider Ray....
 Login/Join

posted
Dear Ray:

I had to write this letter to Michael Moore after reading the news story on-line concerning your objections to Michael Moore's allusion to your book, "Farenheit 451".
Here it is in full:

Dear Mike:

I had to write this letter today to Ray Bradbury when I read the following newspaper story. Below the letter is my letter to Bradbury posted this day at his site. First is the news story as it appears on-line, after the interview by Swedish daily "Dagens Nyheter":

RAY BRADBURY
RIPS MICHAEL MOORE
'Fahrenheit 451' author says filmmaker stole his title for Bush-bash
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: June 3, 2004
5:30 p.m. Eastern

� 2004 WorldNetDaily.com

Author Ray Bradbury has ripped into filmmaker Michael Moore for using the title "Fahrenheit 9/11" for his new Bush-bashing movie, an obvious takeoff on the 84-year-old's science-fiction classic "Fahrenheit 451."

Judging by an interview with the author conducted by the Swedish daily Dagens Nyheter, Bradbury is steamed.

"Michael Moore is a screwed a--hole, that is what I think about that case," Bradbury said according to an English translation of the story. "He stole my title and changed the numbers without ever asking me for permission."

Continued the author: "[Moore] is a horrible human being � horrible human!"

Michael Moore and wife Kathleen Glynn (photo: Oscar.com)

When asked if he agrees with Moore's political positions, Bradbury replied, "That has nothing to do with it. He copied my title; that is what happened. That has nothing to do with my political opinions."

According to the Swedish daily, Bradbury said he had tried to discuss the issue with Moore several months ago, but that the director avoided him.

"I called his publisher. They promised he would call me the same afternoon, but he didn't," Bradbury is quoted as saying.

The author also claimed Moore ruined Wesley Clark's chances of being president with a "kiss of death." When the filmmaker charged President Bush with reneging on his military service, Bradbury explained, the former general should have distanced himself.

"He slandered the president to General Clark, and Clark allowed him to do it," Bradbury said. "Clark should have said: 'Don't say that. It is not true.' That day Clark lost his chance to become president."

Bradbury dismissed any chance of the title being changed at this point:

"Who cares? Nobody will see his movie. It is almost dead already. Never mind, nobody cares."

Moore's film won the Palme d'Or award at the Cannes Film Festival last month and is scheduled to hit theaters on June 25.

Of the Cannes award, Bradbury told the paper: "I have won prizes in different places and they are mostly meaningless. The people there hate us, which is why they gave him the d'Or. It's a meaningless prize."

According to the report, Bradbury refused to say if he would take legal action against Moore.

This finished, Ray, I had to write you this response, below:

Books In Books Out
Junior Member posted 06-19-2004 04:59 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
19 June 2004
Dear Ray:

I wrote this very long letter and then lost it but want, in brief, to ask you to reconsider your complaint against Michael Moore's allusion to your novella, "Fahrenheit 451".

I am pretty sure it is common for another artist to allude to the work of another, right? Why would you, of all people, whose book, "Fahrenheit 451," in theme was about censorship, want to prevent Michael Moore from his use of allusion in his film, "Fahrenheit 9/11," which is a long established practice in literature and film?

I have to confess I immediately thought of your connections with Disney and it has made me very concerned about your reasons?

Please think about this, Mr. Bradbury. Why would you object? I am a long-time fan of yours, have read all, but your more recent books, including "Fahrenheit 451," (my favorite is "Dandelion Wine"). I have also read over 500 of your short stories, beginning when I was a very young reader in the 60s, though the bulk of your writings I read during the 70s, thanks to my brother's love of your book, "The Martian Chronicles," which made me really pay a lot more attention to your novels and short story collections, especially "The Golden Apples of The Sun," which to this day I reread, and I have even collected your works, like "Dark Carnival," which cost me plenty when I bought it, even in 1972! These facts aside, and I add this because I am a loyal reader and fan, I am a little worried about having said above what I feel, contrary to my ardent fan status; however, I think this film of Moore's is important, just the way it is, and I personally feel that it appears unreasonable for you to object to the allusion here, however apparent.

I like most haven't yet seen the film but I am pretty sure he does not make any more allusion to your work than what I have read in the paper: "Fahrenheit 9/11 is the temperature at which freedom burns."

Why would you want to censure this important act of expression? I would think you would be flattered, unless there is some other reason?

I hope it isn't because someone at Disney has asked you to. If Walt Disney could see what has happened to his dream, and I believe he knows, he would probably not agree with your objection here to the creative use of Moore's allusion to your book.

This isn't some dinosaur movie rip-off by some thoughtless studio and which by another Ray has reached you to say, "Hey Ray, they're making a movie aboout a dinosaur who attacks a lighthouse!"

The use of literary allusion is long-established. Why after all of your important work, some of it in defense of free speech and against censorship, why would you object?

Nothing has been taken away from you, Mr. Bradbury!

Please reconsider your complaint. It appears that Mr. Moore is genuinely concerned about your feelings and embarrassed about not returning your call. Please don't let ego become a barr to this important work and to Mr. Moore's and others' rights to allude to a work without having to ask permission of its author.

This objection of yours appears so suspicious!

Please, please reconsider. I must say that after reading quotes from the interview with Swedish daily "Dagens Nyheter," I am really shocked at your behavior, Ray. I thought you above it. It is very suspicious.

Yours Very Sincerely,

Nicholas Campbell

[This message has been edited by Books In Books Out (edited 06-20-2004).]

Nicholas Campbell

Posts: 1 | Location: San Luis Obispo/Atascadero, CA | Registered: 19 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray actually used many, many titles taken from quotes by other authors--"Something Wicked This Way Comes," from Shakespeare, for a novel, and many short stories--but in no case did he appropriate an original title from a living author and then use it to push a political agenda directly opposed to that author's wishes! Mere wording of a title is not the issue--it's the arrogance in appropriating his original words for the purpose of an agenda, and the association with the appropriator, which understandably raised his objections.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bradbury has never called for the censoring of Moore's movie -- he wants the title changed. Get your facts straight.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to have found this message board's various discussions on F911 while doing a google search. Have enjoyed dandelion and Mr. Dark replies throughout. Thank you both. Your Netiquette appreciated, too.

Have seen the movie and discussion of it is irrelevant here. That MM effectively plagiarized Ray's title is not in doubt; MM's own admissions being of record. Most artists, with any modicom of propriety, would feel a blush of shame to stand accused of plagiarization. MM carries with pride on his shoulders. Certainly, MM has enough resourcefulness and creativity to have chosen a title for his movie that would have made it uniquely his own product.

Some confused-sounding, and entirely speculative ramblings opined here by original poster. The following being in particularly poor taste with respect to Ray:

"I have to confess I immediately thought of your connections with Disney and it has made me very concerned about your reasons?.....I hope it isn't because someone at Disney has asked you to....The objection of yours appears so suspicious!....I am really shocked at your behavior, Ray. I thought you above it. It is very suspicious."

Would like the crystal ball that the poster used for this:
"...If Walt Disney could see what has happened to his dream, and I believe he knows, he would probably not agree with your objection here to the creative use of Moore's allusion to your book."

Posts: 1 | Location: potomac, MD, USA | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post