Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Films/videos of 'The Veldt' and 'All Summer in a Day'?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Films/videos of 'The Veldt' and 'All Summer in a Day'?
 Login/Join

posted
I remember watching films based on both 'the veldt' and 'all summer in a day' back in 1998. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any information on this short films.

Would anyone be able to help me with these? Any information on the films would be greatly appreciated. I am a huge Bradbury fan and these videos are something I'd love to watch again.

Ryan

Posts: 1 | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ryan,

take a look at my website for some answers: www.bradburymedia.co.uk

Your question about All Summer is answered on the FAQ page.

"The Veldt" must have either been a Ray Bradbury Theater episode, or the Russian film Vel'd. Details of both are found on my Film&TV page.

I hope this helps!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Philnic, I'm sorry I haven't perused your excellent site. Have you listed "stories within films"? "The Veldt" was one segment of the motion picture "The Illustrated Man." "All Summer in a Day" was not, but another of the Venus stories, "The Long Rain" was.

I don't believe "The Veldt" was ever done for TV unless on "Ray Bradbury Theater." I remember it was wanted for Alfred Hitchcock, Twilight Zone, or both, but considered too extreme for the network TV of the time. Strange to say, "Zero Hour" was adapted for both "Tales of Tomorrow" and "Lights Out" in 1951, and as a short film. "All Summer in a Day" was also a short film just a few years later--I believe "Zero Hour" was 1978 and "All Summer in a Day" early to mid 1980s--and perhaps two separate films were shown in the same class. Did the films seem related or part of the same set or series?

I guess "Zero Hour" comes across as much less extreme because

(SPOILER on the small chance someone here hasn't read both)

the child is unwittingly rather than deliberately the agent of destruction to the parents, and the parents' fates are never revealed, let alone graphically portrayed.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion,

I'm afraid I haven't got round to doing "stories within films" on my site, but you are right that "The Veldt" is part of The Illustrated Man . In fact, I haven't done a page for that movie yet. I wish I had more time - I haven't been able to update anything on there for months. Maybe when the summer holidays (= vacation) come round.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Veldt" was done for the Ray Bradbury Theater, and I have it on tape. It's a great adaptation of the story!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Illustrated Man s.s. collection that appeared as a part of the Bradbury Theater episodes include: Marionbettes, Inc., Veldt, Zero Hour, Concrete Mixer, & Long Rain.

TechnoTed: The 5 dics DVD RBT is worth a consideration if you enjoy Mr. Bradbury's works on the screen. He had his hands in on the productions, and it shows in the way the stories come across when viewed. Some surprisingly effective examples, I feel, are Usher II, Great Wide World Over There, Moon be Still as Bright, Pedestrian, Fruit at the Bottom of the Bowl, and Wonderful Life of Dudley Stone--to name a few!

Posts: 2807 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post