Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Books for children

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Books for children
 Login/Join

posted
Seeking recommendations for Ray Bradbury books/movies for 8 or 9 year old. They saw the movie "Something Wicked This Way Comes" and are interested in more Bradbury!
Thanks.
Zentient

Posts: 1 | Registered: 19 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The most obvious recommendation for that age range would be The Halloween Tree---both the book and the animated film. The book is wonderfully illustrated by Joseph Mugnaini, and because of the illustrations I would recommend getting a hardcover of this, instead of the smaller paperback. (My first edition measures about 6.5 x 9.5 inches, considerably larger than some of the paperbacks I've seen of this title.)

The animated film isn't on DVD as of yet (why is that, I'd like to know!) but you can find a VHS version through Amazon.

You can check out the complete Ray Bradbury Theater DVD set, though frankly I don't know if that would be a good choice for kids of that age. The majority of these episodes just aren't very good (to appreciate the tales, you really should read the short story versions first), and also the subject matter of a lot of the episodes just might not be all that interesting to kids.

You can try the Martian Chronicles DVD set, though it's been so long since I've seen it, that I have no idea whether kids would like it or not!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: theoctobercountry,

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do NOT read "Fever Dream" to the kiddos whilst they are ill!

Now, depending upon the child, of course, and his/her familiarity with Dickens, "Any Friend Of Nicholas Nickelby" is wonderful.

Lots of kids love "The Fog Horn" too...

When I was 8 or 9, I would've enjoyed "A Sound Of Thunder", "Martian Chronicles", "The Exiles", "Dandelion Wine" (much of it anyway), and even "Tomorrow's Child".

(all this off the top of my head, you understand.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Braling II,

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post