Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    There Will Come Soft Rains

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There Will Come Soft Rains
 Login/Join

posted
I would love to get hold of a copy of the 1976 Radio 4 Radiophonic adaption of the above. (MP3?)

Anybody any ideas?

Thanks

Posts: 1 | Registered: 01 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2808 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify, the versions fjp has linked to are NOT the BBC Radiophonic version. I have some information about the BBC version on my website here, and I have an off-air recording of it.

BadBunny, if you'd care to give an email address I'll contact you directly with some information. (Or you can head to my site at the address below, and post a comment on the blog. Leave me you email address there, and I'll get back to you. I won't publish the comment, though, unless you want me to!)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Phil / Hi all

I'm a newbie to this group, and new to the work of Ray Bradbury, but please don't hold that aginst me ;-)

One of my earliest childhood memories was listening to a BBC4 radio play in 1971, which finished with the haunting line "The last voices from inside the wall...August the fifth...August the fifth...August the fifth..."

A mere 39 years later, I was avoiding a rainstorm by browsing in a London bookshop, and came across a quirky book about the history of the Vocoder ("How to Wreck a Nice Beach" by Dave Tompkins, StopSmiling Books, 2010).
On page 39, there was a discussion about the work of Malcom Clarke & the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, and the same phrase which had haunted me since my childhood jumped right off the page at me! Coincidence or synchronicity ? Spooky anyway!

A bit of Googling confirmed that what I heard all those years ago was:

There Will Come Soft Rains
20min BBC Radio 4 Oct 08, 1971
Adapted by Nesta Pain
Produced by Dickon Reed

However, I've also heard clips from the Malcom Clarke version , with the fantastic Vocoder sound effects:

August 2026: There Will Come Soft Rains
20min BBC Radio 4 May 11, 1977

I'd really like to get full copies of both these broadcasts if possible. I've tried a few links from this forum and via Google , but they all seem to be broken.

As a newbie poster, I can't send private messages yet; but if anyone could help in any way, please send me a PM.

Many thanks in anticipation

Best wishes

Dave
Llanelli, UK

Posts: 1 | Location: UK | Registered: 06 October 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Dave, if you'd care to go to my website (link below), you can send me a message by posting a comment on my blog [which will not be published, unless you specifically ask for it to be published]. Include an email address, and I'll get back to you with some information you may be interested in.

PS: I don't think ANYONE here has any PM facility. At least, I've never noticed it on this particular message board. And I've been on here since the year dot!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post