Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    A BED FOR MARIA

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A BED FOR MARIA
 Login/Join

posted
You might know this short story, which appeared in Eros magazine summer 1962 issue.
It appears the story has never been reprinted in any collection or anthology (Correct me, if I'm wrong).
My question is whether this unique story has ever appeared BEFORE the magazine appearance.
Isn't it true first appearance?

If you consult with RB Companion, it does not mention anything about this story.
The magazine says "CREDITS. ... @1957 RAY BRADBURY" in the Contents page, but it appears there�fs no such (or similar) story released before 1962.

Truly appreciate your comments on this.

Posts: 25 | Location: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It must be a retitling of a story Ray probably had published in 1957. If you'll say what it's about, we'll try to find the original title and publication date for you.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the prompt response.

It is a story on a gorgeous (or monstrous?) calliope-like bed for a couple; Maria and Antonio, who have been married for two years but have no children. The wife hates the bed since it favoring her husband but never once has it done for her.

One morning after dispute about the bed, Maria decided to see the doctor since she didn�ft feel good, while Antonio decided to go to the furniture shop to purchase the new bed for his wife.
In that evening, he rushed home to please her, but the apartment was empty.

Then she came back with happy smile, since the doctor brought her the best news they�fve been waiting for the past two years.
Because of this miracle, now she turns to be fond of the bed.

The story ends like this; �gSoftly, �c Maria�fs finger tips began to tap a little dance on the gleaming harp strings, on the shimmering brass pipes of the ancient bed. �c His lips moved to it in a warm whisper. �gSanta Lucia!�h �gSanta Lucia!�h

Hope this helps your research.

Posts: 25 | Location: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, now I've definitely got it. "The Marriage Mender," published in "Collier's," January 22, 1954, collected in "A Medicine for Melancholy."

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear dandelion,
Thank you so much for taking your time to answer my query.
Now I can sleep well.

posted Hide Post
Sleep well amid the sprawling springs of your vast calliope bed.