Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    An Article on RB" RB and Fantasy"

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An Article on RB" RB and Fantasy"
 Login/Join

posted
Please I need help to find an article by Anita T. Sullivan"Ray Bradbury and Fantasy", I know it appeared in December 1972 inthe Englis Journal, I've tried to sed an e-mail to the Journal but it keeps comming back, if anyone Knows where to find this article It would help me a lot!
Thank you

Posts: 73 | Location: portugal | Registered: 10 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ana::::::

Per Anita T. Sullivan, Try this contact, see what happens::::

Phone: (541) 752 0112

Fax: (541) 929 6158

E-Mail:
anita@proaxis@.com

(E-Mail address doesn't look right, but give it a try anyway.....last part is... @ dot com)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Nard but I still can't contact her, the mesage keeps coming back! And to phone from Portugal it is very difficult! Thank you, if there is another contact to help me please tell me.
thank you

Posts: 73 | Location: portugal | Registered: 10 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Portugal??? Wow...

Tell me what 'exactly' you want to know, I'll Fax from here in Chicago the questions.....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm doing a dissertation on Bradbury, about Lonfg After Midnight, and I read it as fantasy not as sf, but I don't have access to much information on fantasy. And Anita wrote an article on R and fantasy, what i want tio know is which stories she analises and why does she read B as a fantasy writer.I don't know if I got myself understood, I'm very tired and sometimes my English is not clear.

posted Hide Post
I don't know if this will help, but here are two books that, if available to you, could be useful in defining fantasy (the fantastic, in some circles):

"Fantasy: The Literature of Subversion". by Rosemary Jackson. Methuen Press, London & New York. 1981.

"The Fantastic: A Structural Approach to a Literary Genre". by Tzetan Todorov (Trans by Richard Howard). Cornell University Press. Cornell. 1973.

Also, I would definitely reference stories from E.T.A. Hoffmann, who was an amazing fantasy writer. Two excellent stories are: "The Golden Flower Pot" and "The Mines of Falun". (I think Dandelion may be more familiar with Hoffman than I am. If possible, maybe she could reference some other stories she likes.) The edition I'm going to cite has a detailed introduction that may be useful:

"The Best Tales of E.T.A. Hoffman". Ed. and Introduction by E.F. Bleiler. Dover Publications, NY. 1967.

I would also look carefully at the Introductions by Nathaniel Hawthorne. He discusses the idea that he writes a setting that creates a mood between day and night. The "twilight" setting means he can write fiction without the requirement of strict verrisimilitude (sp?). He calls his stories tales and romances, so he can step outside the literalist realm of literature or history or biography. In a sense, he discusses why he writes in this "zone" -- which is to allow him to write to morals and universals.

Hope some of this helps. Other than Hawthorne, the books are probably not available outside a university library (although ETA Hoffman is sometimes available).

Good luck.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, I wil try to follow your advice, but where I live my library doesn' have those books, and to by them takes a lot of time and money, I pay more for delivery expenses than for the books and they take minimum 3 weeks to arrive, it's difficult. Thank you.