Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Fahrenheit 451 quotes?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fahrenheit 451 quotes?
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

I am doing a summer reading project on Fahrenheit 451. I have to discuss 5 important quotes from the novel. I jotted down the quotes to discuss, but I forgot to write down the page number for each, which is necessary. If it isn't too much trouble, could anyone take the time to find the page number for these?

1. “Out of the nursery into the college and back to the nursery; there’s your intellectual pattern for the past five centuries of more.”

2. “Not everyone born free and equal, as the Constitution says, but everyone made equal. Each man the image of every other; then all are happy, for there are no mountains to make them cower, to judge themselves against.”

3. “Forget them. Burn all, burn everything. Fire is bright and fire is clean.”

4. “Somewhere the saving and putting away had to begin again and someone had to do the saving and the keeping, one way or another, in books, in records, in people’s heads, any way at all so long as it was safe, free from moths, silverfish, rust and dry-rot, and men with matches.”

5. “We know the damn silly thing we just did. We know all the damn silly things we’ve done for a thousand years and as long as we know that and always have it around where we can see it, someday we’ll stop making the goddamn funeral pyres and jumping in the middle of them.” He goes on, “But even when we had the books on hand, a long time ago, we didn’t use what we got out of them.”

Posts: 1 | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Joe400. I would love to read through the whole of Fahrenheit 451 to find the quotes, but I don't really have the time.

Hey, wait a minute: why don't you do it yourself?! You will be much quicker at it, as you've already just finished reading it. Right?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazon has text search capability for Fahrenheit 451.

Posts: 103 | Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post