Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    I need information on the short story "A Piece of wood"

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need information on the short story "A Piece of wood"
 Login/Join

posted
Hi! I'm working on the short-story " A Piece of wood", I need to know when it was first published and if it was ilustrated!
Thank you

Posts: 6 | Location: Portugal | Registered: 07 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"A Piece of Wood" was first published in Esquire, June 1952. The first time it appeared in a Bradbury collection was in LONG AFTER MIDNIGHT (1976), and after that it was again collected in THE STORIES OF RAY BRADBURY (1980). I don't know about the Esquire version, but there are no illustrations in the books.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you! And what about the short story "Bullet with a name", I know it was first published in Argosy but I don't know if it was published in any other collection!

Posts: 6 | Location: Portugal | Registered: 07 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's at times like these that you need the Ray Bradbury Short Story Finder on my website! (Recently updated to include the latest books, Masks and We'll Always Have Paris.)

"Bullet with a name" hasn't appeared in any of Bradbury's collections to date.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you!!

posted Hide Post
A limited edition book called BULLET TRICK is due from Gauntlet Press later this year. But that's the only thing by Ray Bradbury that has anything to do with a bullet, as far as I know! Smiler

Please do follow Phil's link, given above. His Short Story finder is the best of its kind on the internet. I'm going there now, to see if he has any info on the stories in WE'LL ALWAYS HAVE PARIS.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you know how to contact Jerry Weist, I need to use images from his book Bradbury an illustrated life.
Thank you

posted Hide Post
rocket girl, most of the images in Weist's book are NOT copyrighted by him. I think you would be better to contact the publisher of the book (Wm. Morrow) if you need copyright clearance. Morrow is part of HarperCollins - web address www.harpercollins.com

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Phil, and congratulations on your website! It helped a lot!
Do you know where I can get the information if "the piece of wood" in Esquire was ilustrated?

posted Hide Post
I know "a piece of wood" does appear in the grapic novel(comic) called The Best of Ray Bradbury. This is a fully illustrated version of Ray Bradbury stories published in 2003

Posts: 33 | Location: NZ | Registered: 05 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rocket girl:
I had a copy (original appearance in Esquire) years back! I recall the only picture going along with A Piece of Wood was a single, small pen and ink drawing that didn't amount to much I thought at the time.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you!!
It helped a lot!