Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    B's Letters
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

B's Letters
 Login/Join

posted
Hello, I am a new user, and my name is Freddy. I was wondering if some of you might be able to help me on a multi-genre project I am doing about Mr. Bradbury. My question: Does anyone know of a published book of letters written by Mr. Bradbury durring his writing career? My instructor spoke of writers sometimes having a book of letters they had written. Although, I'm not exactly sure what that is, I assumed it would be helpful in learning what Mr. Bradbury and his works are all about. Thank you for your responses!

Posts: 12 | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
slimfender:::: I am almost positive there was ...never any letters published concerning correspondence of Ray Bradbury.... See what others have to say.... but I am 98% certain......

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've not heard of such a collection, but he recently published a book that gathers things like poetry, talks, orations, story fragments, etc., that may have insights on his views of the cosmos, religion, christian symbolism, etc. I'm reading through it now and find it interesting, but in some areas (religion, in particular) somehow vague. His sense of spirituality is very real and powerful, but a bit non-commital and abstract.

The title page, in introducing the content, says:

"Being a compilation of poems, verse, burial oration, essays, story fragments, notions, fancies and concepts having to do with the Cosmos, the Universe, Visitation, Annunciations, First and Last Suppers, early Sabbaths, Communions, Bar Mitzvahs, Father and Son Banquets that stretch from here to infinity to try parson, preacher, priest and rabbinical souls. . . To wake sleepers, shorten Sudnays, and re-invigorate truths once lost but now gladly re-found. All in the name of sanity during an endless year of exhausted creativity."

Some pretty cool stuff in it.

"A Chapbook for Burnt-Out Priests, Rabbis, and Ministers". Ray Bradbury. Cemetery Dance Publications. Baltimore, MD. 2001.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 01-25-2003).]

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know of a published collection of Ray's letters, though that would be nice.
The best I can think of for you is:

1) Introductions, Forewords and Afterwords. Ray often writes quite insightful notes on his books. You might look for the latest additions that have these.

2) Special Editions. They can be expensive and hard to find, but some have the kind of material you might find interesting. The recent Dark Carnival limited edition from Gauntlet Press had a short quote from Ray regarding the origin on almost every story in the collection. In fact, I believe Gauntlet still sells the recorded interview done for this book on CD. Take a look:
http://www.gauntletpress.com/cgi-bin/gauntletpress/perl...k&ORDER_ID=122707671

3) Zen in the Art of Writing. In this book Ray has collected several short essays that reveal a great deal about his own creative process and the impetus behind many of his well-known works. I would probably start there.

4) (only for the very brave) UCLA's Library has a collection in its archive of Ray Bradbury "manuscripts, correspondence, and ephemera" available by request for serious researchers. I don't know what their access policy is for folks outside the UC system, or if you even live nearby.

Good luck with your project!

[This message has been edited by WritingReptile (edited 01-26-2003).]

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all very much! I don't live anywhere near UCLA, but I will certainly give the other suggestions a go!
I have noticed by reading through most of the other topics that you three are quite active in this message board, to me you feel some what, how should I say...I respect your opinions and advice alot. So, I truly appreciate you spending your time replying. If I have any other questions, I will certainly be looking for your advice!
Freddy

posted Hide Post
I don't know if this is what you mean, but sometimes an author is described as making a 'contribution to letters' meaning literature (i think, but am not sure, this may be a hangover from early publishing).

Ray recently was awarded a a Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters from the National Book Foundation.

Maybe this has helped, maybe not. But I hope it has.

Posts: 29 | Location: UK | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slimfender: Thanks for your kind words.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it helps, "Zen and the Art of Writing" started out as letters written in answer to questions posed by a writing student, but the book was published in the form of essays, not letters.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion,

In re: the origins of Zen. Really? Most of the essays are reprints of articles or forewords published elsewhere, with very little original content. A great writing book, of course, but nowhere in it is it indicated it started out as letters to a writing student. It seemed more like a handy repository of like-minded essays.

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both an article and a chapbook by that title appeared before the hardcover book, but I read somewhere that that whole "footprints in the snow" approach to plot, and perhaps other essay elements, were written as advice to an inquiring writing student.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion,

Interesting. You're a font of information and we're lucky to have you as moderator. Thanks for the reply. As always, you're way too kind.

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frankanger: I appreciate your advice, and although I believe this is not what I was originally looking for, I'm sure it will help me in my project! Thank you very much.

Dandelion: I will certainly check out Zen! I hope it will help me.

Freddy

posted Hide Post
As of a month or so ago, both "A Chapbook for Burnt-out Priests, Rabbis and Ministers" and "Zen in the Art of Writing" were available through Amazon.com. I recently purchased both through Amazon.

posted Hide Post
A slim (and almost impossible to find) volume containing three of Ray's letters about writing was a pamphlet called THE ESSENCE OF CREATIVE WRITING (subtitled "Letters to A Young Aspiring Author"). It was published in 1962 by the San Antonio, Texas Public Library. I am not aware of any other such collection.

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay...I am a bit confused. There is a mention of Zen AND the Art of Writing and then a mention of Zen IN the Art of Writing...are those two different books or the same book, and which ever one, who wrote them or it? I will look for the pamphlet, but I probably will not find it. Concerning "A Chapbook for Burnt-out Priests, Rabbis and Ministers", who is the author and what does it explain or is it a composition of Mr. Bradbury's works? Thank you for giving me more advice, and thank you for helping me with these questions!
Freddy