Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Character Charlie from The Jar

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Character Charlie from The Jar
 Login/Join

posted
I know, here I am asking for homework again but, I just need to ask one little question. Does it ever say why Charlie the main character from The Jar has been laughed at and made fun of for his whole life? I have read and re-read the story but I can't figure it out. Does it not tell the reader in the story at all or am I just missing it?

Posts: 4 | Location: Emo Ontario, Canada | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems like, to me, you're just missing it. Charlie reveals his gullibility and need for approval from others through his own actions. Naturally people who had nothing better to do (and they live in a rural, impoverished, isolated environment before TV or probably even radio was invented--yikes!) would amuse themselves laughing at a hick-among-hicks like Charlie.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After reading the story I thought that Charlie would go to any lenth, even to buying what could amount to a pickeled fetus in a sideshow to bring some credibility, and prestige into his life, his wife Thedy was constantly undermining him by taking his earnings, he even muses about how he could'nt hold her, and spending his hard earned money while visiting her relatives for weeks at a time. It seemed that he was constantly the brunt of the locals bitter humor. His almost diefication of the mass in the Jar, along with the communal yet singular interpretation for each individual of the Jars contents, when they gathered in his cabin brought Charlie the prestige, and inclusion to the community he strongly craved. That is why at the first of the story I feel Charlie is so transfixed by the Jar in the carny tent with its potential, and promise of acceptance due to the Jars singular curiosity. I agree with Dandelion,
these folks did not have much more to do than sit around wondering, scratching, sniffing, simmering, philosophising, and finally maybe just maybe, getting up and poking the thing with a sharp stick? I think that would have taken the fun out of it to actually open the Jar, or would it have, I guess you would have to ask Thedy.

[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 05-27-2002).]

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heh-heh. Of course in the Hitchcock show Charlie was silly enough to leave her hair clip on and was found out by a little neighbor girl. In the story, the implication is he was never caught.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion, I never knew Hitch took a stab at it, I'm not surprised though. I like Rays version better, makes ya quiver.

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post