Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    On the turntable?
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 40

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On the turntable?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Must go back and listen to all the YOUTUBE Zappa Crossfire video, but the first five minutes gave me a look at Frank Zappa as an idiot. And the person hitting him with questions just infuriated Zappa with the incessant questioning. Not necessary. Words! words! words words words? Come on. John Adams, in discussing freedom of speech, made the comment that freedom of speech is designed for those with a moral compass that know the value of what they say in the context of wisdom. The current culture hasn't a clue how THAT has changed thru the generations since John Adams.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Frank.

Anyone surprised?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually Zappa, for all of his uniqueness, was really quite articulate and a truly magnificent musician. Avant Garde ~ sure! But an "idiot?" See how the whole exchange goes, and you will find him well-informed and quick in defense of his views on censorship. I may not agree with all of it (topically). He remained rather composed in view of the barrage of questions he was under.

BTW: FZ - Son, named Dweezil, and daugther is Moon Unit! Words, Words!

I saw him perform twice (Syracuse, Montreal). He did all of the orchestration and composition (8-12 piece groups), fused rock, jazz, electric, and everything in between. He also worked with full symphonies behind him on a few occasions. But again, you had to have an interest in his style and the manner of entertainment.

Posts: 2806 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding. Nope. Frank Zappa is too complex to be sitting on Crossfire. (Why does he look like Borat?) Complex meaning the worst and best combined into a perplexing serving of pie.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That would have to be a piece of "Chalk Pie!"

Posts: 2806 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Why does he look like Borat?

This was twenty-one years ago. It would be more correct to ask, "why does Borat look like him?"

Never saw the film - couldn't say. I thought he looked the part of an eighties-era musician, almost John Oates-ish.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rocky, it was definitely not I who recommended Neil Diamond!

I do like some Frank Zappa. We used to sing snatches of "Mr. Green Genes" back in the day.

In your LP rummagings, if you come across any Eric Kloss, prepare to be amazed. Blind from birth, he was a saxophone prodigy, making his first recording at age 16. He sort of disappeared (went into teaching, I think) in the late '80s. He also has the distinction, second only to Johnny Costa, of being the musician appearing most frequently on "Mr. Rogers' Neighbourhood"! My favourite LPs of his are "Land Of The Giants" and "Sky Shadows".

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will most definitely look for him. I worked most of my shift today getting caught up on l.p.s clearance and regular pricing. It has become my forte(?).

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jazz fans: if you haven't, do yourself a favor and give-a-listen to Jane Monheit. My wife and I saw her live on Near Year's Eve a few years back at Catalina's in Hollywood, great evening. Many known celebs were in attendance. What a talent, memories of Ella there, and other great singers as well. Does contemporary and standards equally well, and just owns the songs.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patrask, on your recommendation, I've just requested her "Taking A Chance On Love" CD from the library. Some impressive personnel and great song titles. I should get it next week. I'll let you know what I think!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
This may not be for everyone, but if you ever followed Frank Zappa...

Here is another controversial entertainer speaking the truth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy4Tg_uR_Bg

George Carlin for president!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Well, patrask, I got the Jane Monheit CD.
Really good! (And she's a cutie, too.)
I really like the way she sings the ballads.
Her duet with Michael Bublé ("I won't Dance") is great. Of course, having top-notch bassists like Ron Carter and Christian McBride along doesn't hurt!

I've been listening to a 4 CD set of Mel Torme. Wow. Talk about perfection!
I got to see him with George Shearing!

posted Hide Post
B II: Mel's daughter used to be on a local radio station out here in Mexifornia, Daisy Torme, she was really good, but they closed it all down and it is now a mexican station. Viva La Raza! Try the new Monhiet CD Surrender, it is a little different but just marvelous, with standards and non-English tracts too. I love her, and she is going to be performing out here in June, at Catalina's in Hollywood and closer to me in San Juan Capistrano at The Coach House. I hope to attend. Glad you like her musica! I think she is marvelous.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rocketry ~ I just bought 12 albums from a thrift shop the other night. $1 each! (I was actually leaving items for the community foodbank when the find occured. So, it was a fateful moment.) Whoever owned them previously was very particular about care and use - all in "excellent" condition!

>8 Beatles albums (Sgt. Pepper, Revolver, Rubber Soul, Beatles 1967-70/ 2 discs, Magical Mystery, Abbey Road, Yesterday and Today, Let It Be)
>Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich (for our Drummer Boy)
>YesSongs (3 discs)
>Grover Washington. Jr. (for our Jazzin' Saxaphonist)

There is nothing like discs turning late at night. The neighborhood quiet, the volume low in the background, a book or always-calling paperwork at hand, feet up, and no phones to answer or "buttons to push."

To think the earth nearly devoured it all. Now, I stay on the hunt for other treasures i-podded and digitized out of vogue. Thanks, again!

Uh! Excuse me! While I turn flip the disc...

posted Hide Post
http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/Home.aspx?ef_id=1355:3:3e...AAAAO:20070518023005

Free Live concerts ~ A-Z!!
Hendrix at Winterland '68 "Are you Experienced"
flutes and all...wow.

Then some John Haitt!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,