Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Help in indentifying a Bradbury Short Story ( set in Ireland )

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help in indentifying a Bradbury Short Story ( set in Ireland )
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. I briefly came across a Ray Bradbury short story about a movietheater in Ireland where the patrons jump over the seats as the movie ends so as to be first ones out the door. Does anyone know the name of it???
Thanks.
Ray

I am hoping someone who is an authority on Ray Bradbury can help me. I saw someone reading a Ray Bradbury book of short stories ...and one of them was about a movietheatre in Ireland where the patrons jump over the seats in a mad dash to be the first ones out when the movie finishes....anyone know what it is called?

Posts: 3 | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Anthem Sprinters," collected in "The Anthem Sprinters and Other Antics," rather a rare volume, a few better-known collections, and novelized in "Green Shadows, White Whale."

You might want to see the thread here, https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791...881075901#7881075901 although be warned it can serve as a sort of spoiler for those who prefer to read the story as its own little reality rather than a literal depiction of a possible event.

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion:
Thank you so much.....yes, I now recognize it. I am Irish so I was very much intrigued by that story as I witnessed something like that growing up in a small town in Ireland too.
I really appreciate you replying.

I am hoping someone who is an authority on Ray Bradbury can help me. I saw someone reading a Ray Bradbury book of short stories ...and one of them was about a movietheatre in Ireland where the patrons jump over the seats in a mad dash to be the first ones out when the movie finishes....anyone know what it is called?

posted Hide Post
Glad to be of help, and, since you're Irish...can you please clear up for us the *other* mystery of this story? What, exactly, IS the Irish National Anthem?

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion:
It is our " Stars and Stripes "! Sung in Irish and is a " nationalist " song. In the past in Ireland ( and still the case ) you could not follow the National Anthem...so once it was played the entertainment was over: dances mostly, but obviously in the 50's movies as well.

posted Hide Post
I believe this is "The Anthem Sprinters", one of my all time favorites.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray,
Do you mean "The Star-spangled Banner"?
"Stars & Stripes" is the famous Sousa march,
portions of which have been set to music...
I'd love to hear either in Irish!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I meant, what is the title of the Irish National Anthem? If it is in Irish, what is its title in Irish and English?