Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Seeking reproduction rights for English class

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking reproduction rights for English class
 Login/Join

posted
Hello all.
I am a first year English teacher creating a short story curriculum. I'd like to be able to use "The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit" in my class. However, because it is a short story course, Sheer costs prevent me from asking the students to buy a separate anthology for each story we read. Whom do I need to ask to get permission to reproduce and distribute to my class copies of this story?

Thanks,
Adam

Posts: 1 | Registered: 27 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Adam: This is the age old question for all educators. The first thing to do is to check with your school district's policy on this. Ie, your department chair or building principal.

I have countless s.s. files (especially RB!) from the units I have taught over the years. As long as you are not reproducing for public distribution or for personal gain ($), I guess it becomes a moral decision. Another way to get class sets of desired titles is to check with neighboring schools. Many times inter-school loans are available. Your librarian will also be a great asset to "everything" you do.

Also, if you have 20 kids in class and have qualms with that many duplications, get just 10 done and have them share copies for oral reading in class. More active participation and discussion ensues (I've found). In any event, costs will always play a major role in what you can present in your classes. I am sure some feedback from your co-workers will be of assistance in determining the best direction to take.

Finally, be sure to get a copy of the video "Wonderful Ice Cream Suit" (check library loan). I know the students will enjoy it. A number of years ago, Mr. Bradbury actually sent me copy of the play of W.I.C.S. when it appeared in a scholastic magazine (Literary Cavalcade-I recall. It had Hemingway on the front cover.) That was my first knowledge of the work. It has since become a favorite story and family movie to watch. Good luck and welcome aboard!

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 01-27-2005).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Contact Addresses for Ray Bradbury.

For fan mail, via his publisher:

HarperCollins Publishers Inc.
10 East 53rd Street
New York, New York 10022
USA

For permissions and other legal questions, via his agency:

Don Congdon Associates, Inc.
156 Fifth Avenue, Suite 625
New York, New York 10010
USA

Four agents: Don Congdon, Michael Congdon (congdon@veriomail.com), Susan Ramer, and Cristina Concepcion.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post