Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Bradbury Halloween story?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury Halloween story?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I recalled commenting some time ago on oral readings, something we do daily in my HS classes and with our two young boys at home each night!

Storyteller, Here it is after a bit of digging. You may wish to give it a try!

Original post 12-3-01 12:11 PM-
------------------------------
Mr. Bradbury's new novel From the Dust Returned offers enjoyment even before the first word is read. From the uniquely textured cover illustrated masterfully (years ago) by Charles Addams, to the thick, roughly edged pages upon which Mr. Bradbury's images eventually come to life, as well as the selection for the style of print, all speaks of classic "stuff!"
His life's love of books is so evident in this publication. It is a text to be "felt" before the first page is opened, "smelled" as a book of old, "heard" as each page turns, and if one so chose - it probably would even taste exquisite! (In every written word throughout his illustrious career, Mr. Bradbury has honored and rescued those magnificent "Exiles!" This book seems to take it to the limit.)

A person without sight should listen to an audio version of FTDR while holding a copy of the text in his or her hands. The author would speak to this person through far more than words. The message would be loud, clear, and overflowing with sights only Mr. Ray Bradbury is capable of conjuring up.

In the case of From the Dust Returned, for those who have long enjoyed the author's works, "you can indeed judge this book by its cover." As for the story within (55 years in the making), his words have always been able to "speak" for themselves. However, be sure to take your time and enjoy what Mr. Bradbury is saying - even before you get to page one.....

***A revisit for storyteller:
If you are eventually able to follow through on this "book in hand and words read aloud" idea, I would really be interested in hearing how it was received! Thanks, fp
-----------------------------------

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 12-04-2003).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holy cow! And I know just the listener who would be interested. Thanks.

We should try writing a short story for the blind. Full of smells, scents, sounds. I'll start it:

Usually, at this time of night, he could sit by the window smelling the damp earth and listening to the insects that come out after the sun has set. But tonight, there was something else on the air......

Posts: 7 | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...it hung low, just above his head. Escaping grasp, yet keeping him from standing up straight. What was it? And why did it come tonight? To him? After all...

[This message has been edited by groon (edited 12-03-2003).]

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It had a name, Birthday it thought, or seemed to recollect. A dry dusty rancid thought at that, it's mind pulled, and sucked on that small inkling spark kindled in the back of his skull... It had been a while.. acrid smoke, thin voices, chanting together a well worn tune... soft, sweet memories lost down a shadowed well of time ...

[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 12-04-2003).]

[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 12-04-2003).]

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post