Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Haunting Verse

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Haunting Verse
 Login/Join

posted
Related to pics RB pics and Lake Superior posts:

Click on the site address below and then choose an audio version (larger the better) for music to Gordon Lightfoot's The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Scroll 1/4 page down for the "lyrics to the song." -click

A footnote:
As kids growing up along the St. Lawrence R., we had the thrill of watching the great ocean freighters coming and going through the Seaway. Starting in early spring when the ice opened in the main channels - through the hot, lazy days of summer - and into the first colorful then suddenly unpredictable late autumn navigational season -the ships from around the world passed and the men on their decks would wave if they saw you on the shoreline already doing the same.

In retrospect, I still have a feeling that everyone had somehow been affected by this tragedy in the mid 70's. From the industrial cities on the Great Lakes - to the countless tiny river towns along the US/Canadian Border and far beyond to the Bay of St. Lawrence and the edge of the Atlantic Ocean -the Edmund Fitzgerald's mysterious, almost instantaneous disappearance made us all reflect a bit deeper on our own mortality.

See: http://www.corfid.com/gl/wreck.htm

Choose a music version & scroll to the lyrics title & click - Great song writing!!

Anyone else specifically recall this event some 30+ years ago?

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I knew it was Lake Superior because the song was a hit when I went to boarding school--my first extensive time away from home. I heard the song so many times I practically memorized it, which is how I knew the location, not so much from hearing the news event, as I must have done. I had a room alone in a supposedly haunted dorm (which I believed) and it was eerie being on my bed and hearing the mournful guitar notes sound like lost bird cries across a vast deep slate gray lake. At this time I was reading every Bradbury work I could get my hands on and read many of his books for the first time, which were a key factor in helping me survive the boarding school experience.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post