Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Martian Chronicles?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Martian Chronicles?
 Login/Join

posted
Hello Folks, how are you?

I am a mature English student who has recently read three short stories by Ray Bradbury, 'There Will Come Soft Rains', 'The Million-Year Picnic' and 'Embroidery'. I have enjoyed them immensely and will find no problem with writing an essay on language and style etc. However I have challenged my tutor with regard to all three being a part of the Martian Chronicles. I would really appreciate some corroboration from the experts.

Regards

Smiler

Posts: 2 | Location: Hampshire, UK | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your tutor is two-thirds right (pretty good going for a tutor [Before anyone flames me, I am a tutor myself!])

Soft Rains and Picnic are from Martian Chronicles; Embroidery isn't.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Embroidery" is the earth viewpoint of the same holocaust, the Martian side of which is depicted in "The Off Season" in "The Martian Chronicles," so it is part of the same time frame/story cycle.

Posts: 7306 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Phil, Dandelion.

I have never been very comfortable with questioning those in a position of respect but it is better than being blindly led.

Thanks again Dandelion for the additional information. Once I have the read the story I'm sure I will be able to refer to it in my essay.

Regards

Smiler

Posts: 2 | Location: Hampshire, UK | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're welcome. When I saw your topic I thought it was going to be a little different question and would still like to say, don't let anyone tell you they can "prove" a story isn't in "The Martian Chronicles" because it doesn't appear in their edition, as there have been different editions. Also there is an "updated" edition with the original dates changed.

Posts: 7306 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2808 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Drink to me only with thine eyes..."

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post