Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    SWTWC Illustration?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SWTWC Illustration?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
One thing I'm curious about is the difference between the hardcover artwork (the Wikipedia example) and the paperback version. While the content is the same the styles are very different. What I have seen of Mugnaini's art the paperbacker version seems much more cartoonlike and not really his style. Is it possible that for the paperback someone was hired to interpret the original and was not credited? I'm not speaking of the piece I have specifically, but of the actual paperback art.

Posts: 7 | Location: Austin TX USA | Registered: 21 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:

I wonder if it's the same fellow who contacted me a few months ago about putting him in contact with GCJ. He said he was working on some project for the Mugnaini estate.

Hi Ryan! How did George work out for you?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chrome, you may be right. From what I've seen of Mugnaini he did have a great range and used lots of techniques. But his lines have always seems quite angular to me, whereas the image you have seems less so.

We need a Mugnaini expert. jetJagger, where are you?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, guys...busy finishing a film...

I was fairly certain when I first saw it that it wasn't Joe's work, and a quick check with his daughter has confirmed it. Sorry, Chrome, this is not a Mugnaini piece but instead someone copying his work for The October Country.

I'll try to track down some more info on the original October Country illustration and post it after I get out from under these 80-hour weeks.

I may not be able to find much more than you already know, though. A great thing about Joe Mugnaini? He was a damn generous man, always giving away his artwork. Something about Joe Mugnaini that's a pain the ass when you're researching his work? He was a damn generous man, always giving away his artwork. Smiler

As far as different versions of the same work go, it is not uncommon to see that Joe did many renditions of the same piece. I can't tell you how many different versions of "Baroque and Red Mama" I have come across in my travels, each version tweaked just a little more than the last.

--
jJ

Posts: 61 | Location: United States | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was fairly certain when I first saw it that it wasn't Joe's work, and a quick check with his daughter has confirmed it. Sorry, Chrome, this is not a Mugnaini piece but instead someone copying his work for The October Country.

Oh no disappointment here Jetlagger. Now I am even more curious about what I have here. I do have a question for anyone who has a copy of the original October Country paperback: Who is credited as the cover artist?

Posts: 7 | Location: Austin TX USA | Registered: 21 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mugnaini was the original October Country cover artist.

Posts: 61 | Location: United States | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So wait JetJagger I'm confused. Mugnaini did this cover?

October Country paperback

That is the one my illustration resembles. I guess I was wondering why that paperback cover looks so different from the hardback cover.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chrome,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chrome:
So wait JetLagger I'm confused.

That's jetJagger!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post