Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Technology vs. Parenting in "The Veldt" and "There Will Come Soft Rains"

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Technology vs. Parenting in "The Veldt" and "There Will Come Soft Rains"
 Login/Join

posted
It seems to me, that in both of these stories, technology has taken over the role of traditional parenting. By having a house such as the one in the stories, the parents and children didn't really have to interact. The house made breakfast, made suggestions, and even ran the baths and read the children stories goodnight. There was even a nursery, which appeared to me to act as a babysitter. By having this nursery, the parents did not have to play with their children as most do. And what was the outcome of all of this?

I believe that Bradbury was demonstrating the problems that can arise if we allow technology to have such a large role in our lives. While some technology is needed and does no harm, we cannot let machines run our daily lives and perform our daily tasks such as caring for children.

What do you think?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 11 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See Zoe712, "Technology in the Veldt"

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark,

I thought it sounded familiar, too.
Good Work.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post