Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Help me find a book title

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me find a book title
 Login/Join

posted
Don't think I'm crazy, but about 30 years ago I borrowed a small paperback book of Ray Bradbury stories from my cousin. Unfortunately, I lost it. Well here is it 30 years later and he's still busting my chops about that missing book. I don't remember the title, but the cover had a picture of a human hand with several eyes that were part of the hand. Does anyone know of this book and perhaps know the title?

I'd love to send it to him for Christmas (after reading it again, of course) and put this whole ugly incident behind me. Thanks for your help!

Fitzz

Posts: 2 | Registered: 15 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm!?
Try Philnic's site with loads of pictures: Illustrated Man and Something Wicked come to mind at first, but then again... Good luck!

Click "Books" for a start:
http://www.bradburymedia.co.uk/

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just looked through Jerry Weist's book, Bradbury: An Illustrated Life, and the only book cover that featured a hand was a German edition of The Martian Chronicales. The hand is stretched upward, palm away, and the hand is holding what appears to be a minture planet Mars.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're absolutely sure you're not thinking of Stephen King's "Night Shift"?

This paperback version, however, appeared only 26 years ago.

The maker of this page http://www.darkfiber.com/eyeinhand/ collected every such image they could, and I find none of Bradbury, so if one exists, this collector would be interested.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great research, dandelion! The web page you pointed us to is quite fascinating as well.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had that book but gave it away, quite intentionally, in the days before I was saving a copy of every book I ever read.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hi all, i'm trying to find the name of a story concerning people that were all the same. noone smarter than anyone else.. the guys name was horatio. can anyone tell me the name of the story?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I'm batting something around 10 out of 10 'right' on these.

So on my 11th try, I'd say... NOT a Bradbury story.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jason,
Could be Kurt Vonnegut's HARRISON BERGERON. If so, this has come up a few times on this site as mistakenly attributed to Bradbury.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, I found a copy of that exact same paperback edition of "Night Shift" at a book sale yesterday.

posted Hide Post
My bad. It was most definitely "Night Shift" by Stephen King. Now that I know the title, I've already found a copy. Thanks for all your help.

Fitzz

Posts: 2 | Registered: 15 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good, glad we cleared that up!