Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Happy 91st Birthday Ray
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happy 91st Birthday Ray
 Login/Join

posted
I will be printing out any birthday wishes people post and take to Ray. Or, if you wish to have me hand deliver a birthday card to Ray (and want to make sure it arrives) you may send them care of me:

John King Tarpinian
315 N. Louise St.
Glendale, CA 91206

JUST MAKE SURE YOU PUT RAY SOMEWHERE EASILY VISIBLE ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE ENVELOPE.

(cards must arrive by the 20th of August.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was posted before but maybe all you drinkers out there should mix one up and lift a glass to Ray on the 22nd.

http://articles.latimes.com/20...t-cocktail1-20110701

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.../watch?v=qqX_ZCSdmuk

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
David S. your card for Ray arrived today.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Thank You very much JKT
David S

David B Smith

Posts: 12 | Location: Utica,MI,USA | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sending a card out tomorrow, it should reach you by the 20th. Thank you for making it possible for us to send Ray a birthday card!

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First I would like to send the birthday wish of many more to Mr. Bradbury. Although Mr. Electrico has already granted that. I wonder if Mr. Electrico has died and returned to join his friend as his friend did on the shore of Lake Michigan?
Also I would like to let Mr. Bradbury know that I am once again enjoying a reread of "Zen in the Art of Writing".

It just occurred to me, did Mr. Bradbury receive permission from Eugen Herrigel for his coattail riding of "Zen in the Art of Archery" title? I ask this because of Mr.Bradbury's fever over Michael Moore's obvious coattail riding with "Fahrenheit 9-11".
Again Happy Birthday Mr. Bradbury

First I would like to send the birthday wish of many more to Mr. Bradbury. Although Mr. Electrico has already grant that. I wonder if Mr. Electrico has died and returned to join his friend as his friend did on the shore of Lake Michigan?
Also I would like to let Mr. Bradbury know that I am once again enjoying a reread of "Zen in the Art of Writing".
It just occurred to me, did Mr. Bradbury receive permission from Eugen Herrigel for his coattail riding of "Zen in the Art of Archery". I ask this because of Mr. Bradbury's fever over Michael Moore's obvious coattail riding with "Fahrenheit 9-11".
Again Happy Birthday

Posts: 1 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Bradbury was actually quite complimentary of Eugen Herrigel when he wrote his own "Zen" in the Art of Writing, 1973. Having studied and taught the martial arts for nearly forty years now, my library in that genre is equaled only by my RB collection. Zen in the Art of Archery is a classic piece of literature in its own right. "Work, Relaxation, and Don't Think" are the grand parallels evident (and specifically commented on by RB, pgs. 151-153) in the two works.

Mr. B's critical approaches to writing have always alluded to these techniques, much as EU expounded upon these Zen tenets from cover to cover in Zen in the Art of Archery.

The other "Fahrenheit" gave no reference to the original, timeless work and truly played a skewed, in my opinion, turn of the title for political and monetary purposes (some may argue, hypocritically - in view of that author's anti-capitalist views. *Please let's not get started on any ideological exchanges. I am merely reflecting on the "q" posed by CC.)

BTW, a few other Zen titles out there: Motorcycle Maintenance, Raising Chickens, Landscaping, Internet, Poker, MLA Documentation. (This last one truly requires a Zen Master's patience and focus when detailed research is being undertaken!)

To jkt: I am sending a special note to you with a small package for Mr. Bradbury. Thank you for your efforts and attention to the items on their way tomorrow!
f

JKT ~ Mailed 4:55pm Wed. and should arrive Friday!
Letter to you within...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I live so far away from US, that my card would take about two weeks to reach jkt. :/

But I`ll write my small letter here then.

Hi Ray!

I`m writing you from Estonia, a small Baltic country, where not many of your works have been published, but where you`re still known and loved among fans of good literature.
I have almost all your books and I`ve read most of your stories, in various languages, but for some reason I have kept "Dandelion Wine" on the shelf, and just recently I picked it up and read it for the first time ever.

And now I wish the summer would last forever.

Thank you, for introducing me to people and worlds, I otherwise would never see.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RAY!

Martin.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Martin84,

Posts: 8 | Location: Tallinn, Estonia | Registered: 20 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don`t know, if it`s possible, but if you could get Ray`s autograph of for me, jkt, it would be much appreciated! Smiler

Posts: 8 | Location: Tallinn, Estonia | Registered: 20 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I received stuff today from Fanboy and Alabama Robert.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
...and Alabama Robert.

A definitive and hearty Thank You much! Smiler

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linnl,

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a recording that I made of Ray and Harlan Ellison on stage at the Books West convention in 1975. I mentioned this to a gentleman who was close to Ray at the premiere of his play Green Town in South Pasadena a year or two ago and I saw him recently at the book signings he did last year. At that time I hadn't yet found the tape. I have now recovered it from my voluminous storage locker and am prepared to deliver it in any manner that seems efficacious, but, alas, I lost the address I was given that night in the theatre. I just this week discovered this website in an attempt to fulfill my promise to bring this wonderful speech to him so he (and his legion of fans) may enjoy what was shared that evening again. Any help in furthering this enterprise would be greatly appreciated. I can supply a link from which the recording can be downloaded if this would facilitate the process, as I am preparing to go on an out-of-town trip early tomorrow morning and am unlikely to get a CD in the mail in time to arrive by the 20th. In any event, I wish to convey my sincerest good wishes to Ray on his achievement of 91 years of contribution to the soul of humanity.

Posts: 2 | Location: California | Registered: 18 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ObnosisJones:
I have a recording that I made of Ray and Harlan Ellison on stage at the Books West convention in 1975. I mentioned this to a gentleman who was close to Ray at the premiere of his play Green Town in South Pasadena a year or two ago and I saw him recently at the book signings he did last year. At that time I hadn't yet found the tape. I have now recovered it from my voluminous storage locker and am prepared to deliver it in any manner that seems efficacious, but, alas, I lost the address I was given that night in the theatre. I just this week discovered this website in an attempt to fulfill my promise to bring this wonderful speech to him so he (and his legion of fans) may enjoy what was shared that evening again. Any help in furthering this enterprise would be greatly appreciated. I can supply a link from which the recording can be downloaded if this would facilitate the process, as I am preparing to go on an out-of-town trip early tomorrow morning and am unlikely to get a CD in the mail in time to arrive by the 20th. In any event, I wish to convey my sincerest good wishes to Ray on his achievement of 91 years of contribution to the soul of humanity.

The man you probably talked to was Ray's theatrical director, Alan Neal Hubbs. Sadly Alan has passed away..we had his memorial service just this past Sunday.

You are welcome to send the CD to me and I will deliver it to Ray on your behalf. It might be belated but I'm sure he'll appreciate it all the same. With your permission I'd make a copy and give it to Ray's archivist.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ObnosisJones:
I can supply a link from which the recording can be downloaded...

Supply, supply! Smiler

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Supply, supply! Smiler

Yes, yes! Smiler

Obnosis is a good word.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post